Do I need a hair transplant? (Photo)

Can anyone tell me if i need a hair transplant! I'm 27 and i feel my hair is going thinner! I started to uae rogaine more than 6 months ago but without any outstanding results! I know about propecia but im scared from any side effects it may cause! Here some pictures! Thank you very much

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  You should be well educated and informed about your options (not scared).

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Need a hair transplant

You would better planning to have a hair restoration surgery when you fell uncomfortable about styling frontal hair line .Hair transplant can be an option for forehead reduction and correcting  asymmetry on your frontal hair line/forelock.I advice you have a FUE; you would get the desired hairline in just one sesssion of dense packing hair transplant. During the placement of follicular units there will be a mixture of single, double and a few triple grafts, which help to create the soft look of a natural hairline. For the first few lines always go for single grafts, later doubles Triples and others.So that a smooth transition will be there giving undetectable hair transplants.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant

A hair transplant would reinforce and improve your hairline. This would be a meaningful and maintenance free approach to hair restoration. I would definitely consider a transplant given the pictures, but I would recommend an in-person evaluation as your next step.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Do I need a hair transplant?

I suggest an in-person consultation with a hair replacement specialist to review options and get the facts from a reliable source, including use of laser, minoxidil (Rogaine), platelet-rich plasma (PRP), finasteride (Propecia) and different techniques of transplant surgery

Karl Hekimian, MD

Recession

At 27, if you want to treat the recession, a hair transplant will certainly work, but you should nevertheless consider finasteride to prevent shock loss at the time of the transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Misconceptions about Finasteride (Propecia)

Hello  ob27,

It is generally best if you try all available medications before you opt for surgery. The only medications approved by the FDA are Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia).  I know Finasteride sounds scary, but it really isn't - the hype on the internet and in the media about side effects causing sexual dysfunction (erectile dysfunction, loss of libido and problems with ejaculation)  is significantly over blown. Here is what we actually know from medical studies:  There have been well over 100 studies that looked at the side effects of Finasteride.  Overall, fewer than 4% of patients taking Finasteride experience sexually related side effects such as erectile dysfunction or loss of libido. That's a very small percentage, especially if you consider that 2-3% of patients taking placebo also complained of erectile dysfunction and loss of libido.  Even in the much higher dose of 5mg/day used to treat prostate problems, Finasteride caused erectile dysfunction in only 15% of patients, still a small percentage.  Compare this to many studies that showed that as many as 40% of males 40 years or older in the general population (not taking Finasteride) report having some erectile dysfunction!  Very clearly, if you look at the actual science - the risk is very low.

Even better, in 50% of patients who did experience sexual dysfunction on Finasteride, the side effects resolved on their own after just a few weeks and without having to stop the medication.

Finally, the side effects resolve completely after stopping the medication in the vast majority of patients.

Finasteride is much, much more effective than Minoxidil (Rogaine) alone and works even better if you start it early in your twenties.  Remember that you need at least 12 months of treatment to get the full benefit, and once treatment is stopped hair loss starts again and will catch up with you.

It's a bit difficult to tell from the limited photos, but looks like your scalp is at a fairly early Norwood stage III V.  That means the hair along the temporal hair line has receded quite a bit, the front is thinning and you are starting to develop thinning at the top, or vertex, of your scalp.  You could get a transplant to reinforce your frontal and temporal hairline now, but you are probably better off waiting a few more years and using Propecia to preserve and thicken the hair you still have.  Remember, you only have a finite supply of donor hair (about 5000 - 6000 units max) on the back  of your scalp.

Do I Need a Hair Transplant

Hi and thanks for your question and photos.  No one ever needed a hair transplant.  The question is would you benefit from a hair transplant or would the results of a transplant make you happy and the answer to both of these questions is yes.  You have a receding hairline and a thinning crown.  Both of these issues would be addressed very well with a hair transplant. I have the Smartgraft device which is in my opinion, the best. The other thing to consider is PRP injections which allow highly concentrated growth factors to be injected into your scalp to help regrow hair and to make your hair follicles healthier.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon