Should I postpone Juvederm filler until I have enough time to recover? How long until I can be out in public?(photo)

i have a appt. may 7th for juviderm for mouth down lines. dr. recommended one and half syringe, rest layer. now my sisters want to take me to lunch the next day! will they be able to tell, should I postpone?

Juvederm Recovery

Always remember that not everybody will react similarly to cosmetic procedures especially to substance such as Juvederm. Each person has a specific physical makeup, and his or her body’s reactions may not stick with the expected norm. You can never predict how much bruising and swelling (if any) that you will get from fillers. For that reason I usually recommend at least one week between fillers and important social engagements. These bruises are usually covered by makeup and are usually gone in 7 days. Facial swelling is usually gone in 24 hours.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Postpone Juvederm treatment

There is always a risk of bruising /swelling with filler treatment. Sometimes the bruising can be worse the next day before it gets better. You can be out in public the following day i would just cover the bruises ( if there are any) with a little make up.  Best of luck

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Should I postpone Juvederm filler until I have enough time to recover? How long until I can be out in public?

Bruising and swelling can vary from patient to patient. If bruising occurs, it can last for about a week. You can prevent bruising in the following ways:

1) Avoiding Vitamin E, NSAIDS, fish oil, and various herbal supplements prior to your injections. 
2) Use of a blunt cannula to perform the injections.

Since it is difficult to predict the extent of bruising and/or swelling following treatment, it may be best to postpone any social engagements scheduled for the day following treatment. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Recovery after filler

Everyone is different and some patients may take a bit longer for swelling and bruising to subside, therefore it's a bit unpredictable to say how much and for long you will have swelling/bruising. However, keep in mind the mouth is a very vascular area, therefore the risk of swelling/bruising is a bit higher. I always tell my patients to do fillers 1-2 weeks before a special event. Good Luck. 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Postponing Juvederm

Thank you for your question. You can never predict how much bruising and swelling (if any) that you will get from fillers. For that reason I usually recommend at least one week between fillers and important social engagements. Good Luck

Postponing activities after Juvederm filler

If you are not prone to bruising and don't take blood thinners like aspirin or ibuprofen, then I'd say about 30% of patients will bruise a little in the Marionette/mouth down lines. The bruising can last about 7 days, and a little swelling for less than 48hrs, so I generally advise no major functions or parties within 1 week of a filler injection. For women, coverup can be used if need be. Arnica or eating a fresh pineapple can reduce the risk and extent of bruising.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial fillers and downtime

Facial fillers always come with the risk of bruising. That's hard to predict but does not occur frequently at all in a healthy person. These bruises are usually covered by makeup and are usually gone in 7 days. Facial swelling is usually gone in 24 hours 
I think that if you are at all worried about it then just postpone it till after the lunch date. This will make the whole experience less stressful.

Downtime from fillers

If anything, we say you can have "social downtime" from fillers. While people who don't know you may not notice anything, those who know you well may notice a bit of swelling or bruising. If it's your sisters and you don't care, it's fine to have your appointment and go out to lunch the next day. If you don't want anyone to know you had anything done, then yes, you shouldn't do it the day before your lunch just in case you get swollen, or a bruise.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Filler and recovery

It is possible to get both bruising and swelling from most injectable filler treatments in the face, but especially if you have taken a blood-thinning medication, supplement or food recently. Avoid ibuprofen, aspirin, fish oil, garlic, excess vitamin E and red wine for a week before treatment.  Usually you can use makeup to cover up the bruises.  If it were my sister, I wouldn't hesitate to see her and joke with her about my treatment as needed.   Also, looking at your photo, I would recommend that to improve your lines around the mouth and jowls that you have the filler placed in your upper cheek to give you the lift and improvement in the ogee (s) curve you need.  See Juvederm Voluma from Allergan pics online to see about the ogee curve.

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I postpone Juvederm filler until I have enough time to recover? How long until I can be out in public?(

Typically, people will not know unless you have an issue.  There may be bruising or lumpiness.  I would suggest not taking Aspirin or other types of blood thinning medications several days before to reduce the risk of bruising.