Hate My Post Pregnancy Belly

It has been nearly 9 months since i gave birth. i hate my belly and really wish it'd go back down. do plastic surgeons have rules of thumb on when it's appropriate to say a belly is permanent after pregnancy and suitable for a procedure like tummy tuck + lipo?

When to have a tummy tuck

Stretched abdominal muscles and skin never goes back to original after a pregnancy.  Here is my recommendation: 1. Complete your family.

2. Six months after your last child have a tummy tuck and claim back your pre-pregnancy body.  

That is my rule of thumb recommendation to all my patients.

Post pregancy belly blues

Pregnancy does change the body permanently. However, there is hope! A tummy tuck is often the best procedure to restore a more attractive shape. Typically, this can be done once your body has reached a post pregnancy plateau. You will also do better if you are on a reasonable diet and are fairly active. Make sure your surgeon is board certified and has done many tummy tucks. Experience matters.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Tummy be gone: Post pregnancy tummy contouring

There is no exact time frame when it would be best to proceed with a tummy tuck + lipo procedure.    However, you ideally want to be done with having kids before considering definitive abdominal contouring.  

A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better.

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Should wait 6 months after preganncy to do a Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck can tighten the muscles, Remove the excess skin, get rid of stretch marks and reduce the waistline.

For best result, in our practice we wait for six months after pregnancy before operating on a patient.

Also, for best result, you should be close to your ideal weight.

Hope this is helpful.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your inquiry. The questions you should ask yourself is do you want more children? If the answer is yes, it is best to wait until your childbirth years are completed. If it is no, then having surgery nine months after pregnancy is usually ok. It is best to see a plastic surgeon and see which procedure is best for your body type.  Good Luck!

Maria M. LoTempio, MD, FACS

I want my belly back!

I completely understand your concern and you are not alone!  It is best to wait at least 6 months after delivery before undergoing Tummytuck surgery.  This allows your hormone levels to return to normal, and gives you a chance to lose those extra pregnancy pounds. Any residual fat and redundant skin can then be addressed during surgery. Try to get as close to your target weight as possible to maximize your final result. Lastly, it is best to complete child bearing, because pregnancy after tummytuck will greatly affect your result. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mommy makeover to improve your tummy appearance

#TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty is an operation which can tighten the abdominal muscles, remove localized excess skin and fat. Following #pregnancy a woman can experience any of these conditions alone or in combination. For example, your weight and body fat may be low, yet stretched, weak abdominal muscles may result in laxity and forward protrusion of the lower or entire abdomen. In just about all women, following pregnancy the two midline rectus muscles separate, “diastasis recti”. This weakness tends to enlarge the waist in many women. 

Usually when you weight is stable, 9-12 months after pregnancy is common

Plastic surgery after pregnancy

Usually I tell my patients to wait about 6 months after having a baby and breastfeeding  before getting any type of plastic surgery done. Also you should try to come close to your pre-pregnancy weight.  Much of the time women think that losing weight will take care of the abdominal fullness.  But in fact the lower abdominal loose skin can only be corrected with a tummy tuck. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Mommy Makeover

A mommy makeover is designed to restore breasts and abdomen to pre-baby shape, or as close as possible. In some cases, women believe they actually look better after a mommy makeover than before surgery. It is important to research your plastic surgeon carefully.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Permanent belly changes after pregnancy

Pregnancy does permanently stretch the muscles and skin - luckily, these changes are reversible with a tummy tuck. If you are finished having children this would be a great option for you. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of ASAPS. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD