Post labiaplasty swelling?

Straight after surgery my inner labia looked neatly tucked in and symmetrical. However I then got the normal swelling that seems to occur after this procedure. It has now been 2weeks and I just want to know if my labia will go back to how they were straight after surgery? The swelling has subsided quite alot but the left side now looks assymetrical and swollen - I just want to know if what I saw immediately post surgery will eventually be my final result?

Labiaplasty surgery swelling

Swelling can hide your results. Generally, with proper care and healing, your results should resemble those that you saw shortly after surgery (minus the visible incision lines and sutures). Until then, please follow your surgeon’s care instructions.

Labiaplasty swelling

Thank you for your question.  Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising.  The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other.   I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous.  I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks.  I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense.  The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

Labiaplasty swelling and recovery in Los Angeles

Swelling does occur after labiaplasty. It is important to minimize the time to resolution of your swelling. Some supplements can help reduce the swelling. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

After swelling, labia should return to normal

By nature, labiaplasty patients experience a cycle of swelling and mild pain that runs its own course. Because the surgical area is near your center of gravity, you cannot elevate it like a foot or arm. You cannot wrap it in an Ace bandage, and it is inconvenient to apply ice or heat. Patience and abstenance are necessary, and before long, your result wil reflect what you saw right after the surgery.

John Cassel, MD (in memoriam)

Labiaplasty

At two weeks, I think your swelling should still go down a bit. Swelling is most times a bit asymmetric and sometimes can affect the long term result. Whatever you do, be sure to give this lots of time before you consider any revision or removal of more tissue. The worst labiaplasty problem is removal of too much tissue.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Labial Swelling Tips

Labia swelling is expected after surgery, is often asymmetric early on and varies widely from patient to patient. Icing during the first week, low salt diet, Bromelain and Arnica, no heavy lifting etc can all help the swelling resolve a bit faster in some patients. 
#labialSwellingHelp

Healing and swelling with labiaplasty

Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.

Labiaplasty recovery

Dear Lacey,

Labia minora become swollen after labiaplasty and usually this swelling is not symmetric. The swelling can get worse or better based on your level of activity. Be sure to abstain from sexual activity as per the recommendations of your surgeon. The swelling usually goes away by in the next few weeks and you will likely see what you saw immediately post operatively. Be patient and give it some time for the swelling to subside. 4-6 months need to pass before you entertain any thoughts of a revision.

Labiaplasty surgery

Hello there

Thank you for your kind question.

It is quite normal to have swelling after labiaplasty surgery and this can take time to subside and settle down.

I always warn my patients of asymmetry in the healing phase and one side of the body may swell/heal differentially - this applies to breast surgery, facial surgery as well as labiaplasty surgery.

I am sure your plastic surgeon is keeping an eye on things so please do check with them.

Good luck

Paul Banwell, Consultant Plastic Surgeon London