Post Gynecomastia: what are the risks of scarring with areola and tissue correction surgery? (photo)

Hello, I apologize in advance for the language, I do not speak English. I did a gynecomastia surgery for a year and I have removed the glands.Now I would like to have an operation to fix. Reduce the areolas and eliminate the skin tissue with a round block of intervention. I would like to know the risks of scarring with this intervention.And if there was any scar tattoo to cover it use as dermal pigmentation. I'm 21 years old. Thanks for help me .

Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Post gynecomastectomy skin removal

Additional photos would be useful, as on this view it appears you do not have a lot of skin excess. You should discuss your concerns about scarring with your surgeon.

Generally, the circumareolar scars after gynecomastia surgery are O.K., but not great.  You must be willing to accept the risk of thick scars and irregular areolas.  The scars are permanent and tattooing probably will not be a great option, especially if the scars turn out darker than your skin.

Timothy Connall, MD