I am a post bariatric surgery patient. How do I know when I am ready for plastic surgery?

What are the criteria plastic surgeons look for? Is there psychological testing like with the WLS? How do I find a great surgeon with experience with massive weight loss? What about affordability - I here Mexico is cheap? Thanks!

Congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far.  I would suggest that you wait until you have reached your long-term stable weight prior to seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of examples  achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. 

Then, communicate your goals carefully. Learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the operations discussed. Achieving realistic expectations will be important as well.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider options.   Best wishes.

How do I find a bariatric plastic surgeon?

I would recommend you look at the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons for members in your area. I am its present President. You can find information about various procedures and find photos of them also. Patients are often drawn overseas to try and save money but you should be aware of the different levels of excellence and safety there compared to the US.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

After weight loss

Depending of the surgery you had, you need to be stable in your weigh al least three months. You can have some affordable options for surgery for a experience and qualify surgeons and fully accredited surgical facilities that can warranty safety and good results

Try to avoid the cheapest alternative unless it is the best alternative for your health and your result. If you are close to your goal weight and that weight has been stable for months, you are likely a candidate. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post bariatric body contouring

hello. Usually we have PTs start to plan surgery after their weight has been stable for 3 to 6 months. We see you in a complimentary consultation and go over the plans for surgery--- reviewing before and after results of other bariatric patients. This is one surgery when you need a long term follow up. I strongly recommend you live nearby your surgeons location

Dr Sanjay Lalla.

Jersey city. Nj

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post bariatric surgery patient

Bariatric patients present a unique challenge for body contouring. It's important to ask your surgeon to demonstrate his experience. That being said- there is no hard rules regarding who and when to offer profound body contouring procedures. Without your photos your specific case is difficult to access. Generally speaking, stable weight for 3 months is advisable but your BMI will most likely always be high and so will not preclude doing body contouring procedures. As with all cosmetic procedures they should be performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with Experience.

Life After Weight Loss

We have a comprehensive program for Life After Weight Loss. You should be at least 1 year out from your surgical procedure and stable for at least 3 months with no major weight fluctuation. Hopefully you are at your goal weight or close to it and have a BMI around 35 or less, although we do not have strict BMI cutoffs in our practice. Psych testing is only done if there are ongoing issues. Some procedures are covered by insurance, so check with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck and congratuations on your weight loss!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Bariatric Surgery

You want your weight loss to be stable for at least 6 months and your BMI should be normal for your height. As far a costs are concerned, you often get what you pay for. There are many problems that can occur after that kind of surgery, if you have it done in mexico are you going to stay there for 3 - 6 months to make sure you healed? Also remember, you get what you pay for.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD