Would I benefit from a tummy tuck? (Photos)

Originally I had been planning on looking into thermitight as an option, but I feel like that would still leave a lot to be desired. I work hard in the gym and it takes me triple the work to show because of my loose belly skin. Even after my second child and a muscular 15% body fat I was unsatisfied. I also have an umbilical hernia. Do I have enough extra skin to get good results with a low scar? I am fine with vertical as well. Most of my loose skin is around my button, not below- pics showing.

A couple of things...

1. You look awesome2. Sweet tattoos3. ThermiTight will leave a little to be desired- it will improve, but not as much as YOU probably want it to.4. I think you would do great with a tummy tuck and I would bet you would need a vertical scar in order to get your horizontal scar as low as you want.  In the picture where you are just pulling from below- that is what simulates a mini-tummy tuck where no incision is made around your belly button.  It improves things, but gives you a "sad-face" belly button and doesn't get rid of any skin north of your belly button.  You could always do a mini-tummy tuck (never need a vertical incision) and come back and clean up the skin around your belly button by excising it.  I have done that on some of my really fit mothers who didn't have quite as much looseness to their skin but hated the area around their belly buttons.There are some pros and cons to each choice.  I think that if you can stand the vertical scar (which may not be long- could only tell you with an examination), a traditional tummy tuck would serve you best.  Sounds crazy to say to someone that is in as great of shape as you, but it's the gold standard.  And please don't sacrifice a normal, natural tummy with a vertical scar for something that is pulled so tight that it looks alien- big mistake.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. You have a great body and a flat abdomen, you would definitely benefit from a tummy tuck to get rid of the excess skin in your belly making it look thight. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Tummy tuck

Dear navywife,   Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscle laxity from your chest bone to your pubic bone , your belly button is hooded and your waists are blunted. You also appear to be in very good shape, so I do not believe that you will be happy with a compromised outcome.    A full tummy tuck will give you flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button, narrower and more defined waists and better posture. It might be that you will end up with a small vertical scar in the lower abdomen, if the skin of the upper abdomen is not loose enough, but it is a good trade of for the spectacular result of the tummy tuck that you will obtain.     You have to realize, though, that not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                            Best of luck,                                                  Dr Widder

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Based upon photos provided, you appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved.  Hope this helps!

Would I benefit from a tummy tuck?

First, you look fabulous-congratulations on your hard work to stay in shape.Second, do not waste time and money on non-surgical skin tightening with any machine-unequivocally non surgical DOES NOT WORK!!I cannot tell from the photo if you have enough skin for a low incision.However I can tell you that you will need a full tummy tuck to tighten skin above the belly button.Would not try upper tummy tuck-scarring under breast and on "breast bone" area too much.

Possibly Benefit of A tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. While it definitely looks from your images that you have a trim abdomen, the photo where you are pinching out the excess skin shows that you would likely benefit from abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) to tighten up that area. You should seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and see which procedure would be best for you. Best of luck!

Would I benefit from a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos and stretch of loose skin that you demonstrated, you would appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  An in person examination would be required to delineate the extent of loose lax skin and the type of tummy tuck needed.  The umbilical hernia can be repaired at the same time.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD