I feel like I'd benefit from a chin implants and Cheek implant. Any advice? (Photos)

I don't know if I should get a lifestyle lift or a chin and Cheek implant. Wanting a board certified DR within Boston /ny /and MD. Area with lots o before and after pics available. I hate the sagging and lack of features.

cheek implants in a chin implant

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about what may be needed, since the face is a three-dimensional structure. Chin implants are placed for patients who have a weak and recessive chin profile and desire augmentation and a stronger Chin/ jawline. Cheek implants are placed for patients who had a flat maxilla  and a flat mid face and desire more augmentation/ volume restoration in that area. Cheek implants are placed through an intra-oral incision under a brief general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Both chin and cheek implants are composed of Silastic. In our practice we have been using  Implantech cheek and chin implants the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before-and-after results of the cheek and chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Yes - great idea

Hi Sherry,

You should definitely consider a chin implant and cheek implants based upon these photographs.  These procedures may be all you need and the lifestyle lift wouldn't be needed. Of course, we'll know better after seeing you in person.

These implants are done often under local anesthesia, directly in the office.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lift or a chin and Cheek implant.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak however the photos do not show  significant "jowl" formation.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Implaants vs surgery

You definitely have a recessed chin and could benefit from an enhancement there. I have no idea what a lifestyle lift is. Implants are definitely a good option. You can also use fillers which last quite a long time to see how you like the new look. Fat grafting can also enhance the areas you are concerned with. Obviously there are multiple options with multiple degrees of surgical involvement and different price points. Talk to a good surgeon.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS