Ectropion after blepharoplasty. (photo)

I had an upper and lower blepharoplasty in March 2014. I immediately developed an ectropion on my left lower lid. I have since had two revisions (the first with the original surgeon, the second with his partner). Both failed. Do I have any hope of getting this corrected (attached pic was taken today)? I want to go back to the surgeon but I have become disheartened based on the previous revision failures and I am afraid of making it worse.

Doctor Answers 6

You need expert care for this. Stop letting your original surgeons whittle on your eyelids.

You should not let these surgeons attempt to repair this eyelid with a skin graft.  That is not state of the art repair for this type of lower eyelid malposition.  Please down load my free ebook on eyelid surgery cited below and study the sections of reconstruction lower eyelids after blepharoplasty.  The goal here is a correction that not only fixed the lower eyelid malposition but also achieves the original cosmetic goals of improving your appearance.  I assure you a skin graft will disfigure you as much as this lower eyelid does. Standard lateral canthal tightening surgery will only make your situation worse.  For the past 20 years I have developed and perfected a definitive approach to correcting eyelids like yours.  The reconstruction is achieve by vertically lifting the cheek onto a hand carved orbital rim implant that is used as a felting material to support the weight of the cheek.  This removes the weight of the cheek from the lower eyelid, which is a significant factor in the eyelid malposition.  The lifted cheek also recruits needed skin and soft tissue for the lower eyelid.  The shape of the lower eyelid is controlled using a graft of hard palate from the rook of the mouth.  I am sorry that this type of work is not available close to where you live.  I have patients who fly in from all over the world to Los Angeles for this type of correction.

Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Ectropion repair

Repair of ectropion is a very challenging procedure.  You need a proper diagnosis, to figure out if you have scar tissue buildup that is pulling everything down or too much removal of skin that is pulling it down.  There is always a possibility of a very relaxed lower eyelid that needs to be tightened on the side call canthopexy.  An oculoplastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon who has experience with ectropion repair should be able to help you.


Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Ectropion after lower blepharoplasty

From the looks of your photo, you likely have scarring pulling down the eyelid, which really means you are short on skin in this area. If previous attempts at fixing it only involved tightening the eyelid, they were destined to fail.  See an oculoplastic surgeon in your area. You may require a skin graft to lengthen the eyelid and allow it to return to a normal position.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Ectropion after blepharoplasty

There is definitely hope of correction! An Oculoplastic surgeon who is experienced with eyelid malpositions after blepharoplasty would be the type of surgeon to help you. Corrective surgery would be accompanied by some swelling and bruising, but you should have an immediate improvement in the position of the eyelid against the eye. If there is a deficit of skin, the skin may be re-arranged to fill in the vertical deficit. Best wishes for resolution of your ectropion problem.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Ectropion of lower eyelid

It is hard to tell based on your one photo. I would recommend you see a board certified opthal-plastic surgeon for a second opinion or a plastic surgeon with extensive experience with eyelid surgery. At the time of examination, a plan can be recommended.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Ectropian following blepharoplasty

Tough problem obviously. Might be worth a trip to see a seasoned oculoplastic surgeon like Dr Glen Jelks.  He is in Manhattan.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.