6 weeks post-op gynecomastia and liposuction surgery. Will my skin heal evenly with workout and massage? (photos)

The most important part of getting my surgery was to ensure my chest looked great with my shirt off and I had good symmetry. My Dr. told me it would look very natural. I am two days away from being six weeks out from gynomastia & liposuction surgery and I have been wearing my compression vest day and night every day. I am hoping with massage and working out it will look natural enough not to be noticeable. What can I expect, and what can I do to help it along the way? Will I need another procedure?

You are still in early stages of healing.  Give your body a few more months to completely heal and get close to final results. In the meantime, follow your surgeon's post op instructions.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

6 Weeks Post Surgery

Hi smit517,

Thanks for the post and photos. At 6 weeks you are early ion the healing phase and will continue seeing improvements especially as you can now increase your activity and exercise levels. I recommend being patient at this time. Usually close to final results are around 6 months.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

6 weeks postop gynecomastia and will my skin heal evenly with workout and massage?

Thank you for sharing your question and series of photographs.  At six weeks you are still early in your recovery and it is difficult to know what your long-term results will be.  I know it is difficult, but allow your results more time to mature before assessing the need for any additional surgery.  Hope this helps.

You need to be more patient

i think you look very good already. however, you will continue to improve for 6-12 months. there will always be minor differences from side to side, in any bilateral surgery. you can massage the area. i think you can stop wearing the compression garment at this point in time.

try and not be too focused on things or you will drive yourself nuts. remember you will continue to improve for a long time and there is nothing you can really do to speed this up. 

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction - will I get the result I want?

Thank you for asking about your male breast reduction.

• Your photos show what seems to be a good result for this point after surgery.
  • Healing takes a long time - and is largely out of our control.
  • Working out is good for you and increases blood flow
  • Massage - may or may not make a difference. Most surgeons think not, some patients think it does so no harm in trying.
  • Give yourself 6 - 12 months before reviewing your final result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Six week post gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question and you look like you are progressing well.  You need to be patient for the results which can take 6-12 months to fully mature.  Massage and exercise are good but how this will end up will mostly be on how you heal and how your body responds to surgery.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

6 Weeks Post-Op Gynecomastia and Liposuction Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gyno result

Thank you for the photos and question but you are still early post op to see a final result so try to be patient and follow your surgeons instructions 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD