Trouble breathing 6 weeks after breast augmentation and lift. Is this normal?

I had breast augmentation with a lift about six weeks ago. Lately (about a week) I have been very short of breath and lightheaded at times. Sometimes when I take a breath, it feels like it is raspy. Is this normal?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Short of breath after breast surgery

My best recommendation is to seek evaluation as soon as possible by a medical professional to rule out findings of concern such as pneumonia, blood clots, etc.

Rachel Streu, MD

Shortness of breathe after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry and call your doctor immediately to discuss. My concern would be to make sure you do not have blood clot and without an exam and testing it is impossible to know.  Please do not delay.