How do I treat a gigantic varicose vein?

Broke both my legs ten years ago, shattered my left femur and now have a huge vein starting by where it broke and goes down the outer side of my knee and around and down the back of my calf. It gets way bigger when it's hot or humid outside. My right tibial plateau broke also, and there are none on that leg.

Varicose veins after trauma

It is important to get an ultrasound of the legs to make sure the deep system of veins are clear of 'clot' especially after trauma, possible immobilization and long course of treatment and physical therapy. It is not recommended in fact harmful to treat varicose veins in the presence of a deep venous thrombosis (clot in the deep system of veins). If the deep system is clear of clot, non-surgical options are available and quite safe. 

Laguna Hills Vascular Surgeon

Los Angeles top vein expert

You may have venous insufficiency, which is quite common after trauma. I would get an ultrasound of the legs followed by vein therapy. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles Vein Expert

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Large varicose veins

Anytime someone comes in with large varicose veins, we recommend a venous ultrasound to see if the patient has venous insufficiency. This gives a map of what is causing the problem.  The vein can then be treated by one or a variety of treatment options which your physician can discuss in detail with the results of the ultrasounds.  These treatments include EVLA, Radiofrequency ablation, Clarivien, Phlebotomies, Glue, Foam, Sclerotherapy etc.  

Susan Fox, DO
Hollywood Phlebologist

Varicose Vein

Most likely you developed the varicose vein due to the trauma to that leg.  You need to have a venous ultrasound to evaluate the extent of the diseased vein.  Your physician can then discuss with you the various procedures to correct the problem.  Typically  it can be taken care of with a procedure done in the office to close down the vein with heat or to remove the vein entirely.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Treatment varicose veins.

Varicose veins can be a result of trauma and are due to leaking (refluxing) of the vein valves.  This can be treated by an in office procedure usually consisting of sealing the leaking valves with a laser or RF catheter followed by treating the varicose veins by either sclerotherapy or removal through tiny incisions.  See a vein specialist.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Possible causes

developing venous disease after orthopedic injury is quite common sometimes related to small blood clots sometimes related to direct injury to the vein I think you need a venous reflux ultrasound to determine the cause after which treatments can be better Tailored

Jordan Knepper, MD
Ann Arbor Vascular Surgeon