Do I have Symmastia? (photos)

I am 4 weeks post op from breast reduction, lift and 375cc silicone implants under muscles. My skin is lifted off my sternum, causing a "bridge" between my breasts, and I have no cleavage. Do I have cause for concern, and what should I do?

Pre-op photos needed

as many people with large breasts have the skin the crossed the midline with good definition.  If your implant doesn't cross the midline when pushed towards the midline, you don't have symmastia.  Would not be concerned as there really isn't anything you can do at this point except focus on healing.  Your surgeon should advise if truly concerned and your surgeon has the benefit of have 'been there'.  Trust your surgeon to do the best thing for you.

There is no pre-op photo, so I don't know whether this is a pre-exisiting condition.  Assuming this is new, it does appear that you have symmastia, most likely to the position of the breast implants.  At 4 weeks, your implant capsules are already well formed, so it is doubtful this will improve except with surgery.  The procedure would involve modifying the implant pockets, repositioning the implants, and re-attaching the lifted skin to the sternum.  Discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck.

Yes you have symmastia.  Whether it is due to your native breast tissue, the breast implants, or both would require and examination.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do I have Symmastia?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. It does seem like you have some findings consistent with symmastia. However, without pre-op photos to compare, it is hard to say what has changed. Patients often have anatomy that lends itself to this type of post-op appearance. If you are concerned with your surgical outcome, you need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.