Rhinoplasty or an alar base reduction? Portland doctors. (photos)

Hello, I've been interested in getting rhinoplasty for years now. I've recently found out about the alar base reduction procedure and I'm extremely interested. I don't hate the bridge of my nose, but I would prefer it to be a bit longer. The biggest problem I have is with my flared nostrils. They are perfect circles. My main questions are: what is the average heal time of rhinoplasty and an alar base reductuon, price difference, and who are the reccommended surgeons in the Portland, Oregon area.

Rhinoplasty versus alar base reduction

A rhinoplasty procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure which involves changing the entire shape of the nose including the tip, bridge and nasal  bones. An alar base reduction  can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. This involves removal of a small wedge of skin at the base of the nostrils to narrow them. For more information, many examples and our current price list, please see the video and the link  below

Alar base reduction

Healing time for both is about a week. Cost varies per surgeon so I would recommend going to see a rhinoplasty specialist who can provide both options for you. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Concerns

Thanks for your post. From your photos, you do not appear to be a good candidate for an alar base reduction. I recommend you consult with Dr. Tom D. Wang, Facial Plastic Surgeon. He will give you an honestly and realistic evaluation for your alar base and nostril concerns. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon