Can Restylane move around or disappear from working after injections?

I had restylane injected into nasolabial folds, over cormers of mouth and near depressor muscles. I wanted botox in depressor muscles to decrease the bulkiness since I tend to bite my lips alot and this area looks large or swollen sometimes. But my injector wanted to put restylane to "even things out" with the nasolabial folds. Problem is I went to work a few hours after "which she said was ok" and a few days later my naso-folds look the same but worse! where did it go?

It is perfectly fine to go back to work immediately following Restylane injections.

It is perfectly fine to go back to work immediately following Restylane injections. Working would not cause filler to move around or disappear. There may be some swelling immediately following Restylane injections, which would then dissipate over the next few days. It sounds as though this may be what happened in your case. If you are unhappy with your final results, I suggest visiting your injector for a follow-up visit and having more injected.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers don't move around after injection

Fillers have the fortunate characteristic in that they stay where they are injected.  Returning to normal activity after filler will have no effect on results.  Excessive exercise will increase the risk of swelling or bruising but not the end results.  It is possible that in the first week after injection, swelling is masking the results and creating ill effects.  Give the area a few more days and make a follow up appointment; it is never a bad idea to get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Often people do not get "optimal" correction of the area, meaning they do not inject enough filler to maintain the appropriate change. you had a few areas treated which means numerous syringes will be needed and you may need to go back for a touch up in 2-3 weeks if you are not at the correction you were hoping.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Without examining you I cant be entirely sure but it sounds like you may have liked the "results" that you saw with the initial swelling and after that wore off there simply wasn't enough filler used. I'd suggest seeing your injector and asking them what they think based on an in-person exam. Best of luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Restylane and Disappearance of Product

It is possible that the hydrophilic nature of the product made it look full initially. You may need to return to have more product injected to have a fuller look.  Always consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Can restylane disappear

Restylane absorbs water immediately at the time of injection and continues to do so for the first 48 hours.  I suspect that your folds looked fuller when you were swollen and then after a few days the water reabsorbed.  Now you are left with just the filler. You did not cause any of this to happen by going to work.  It is a natural process.  If you like the fiuller appearance you may be a candidate for more filler. Good luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon