Do I have to replace my implants with a pocket revision?

I have only had my implants for 2 years. Would I have to replace them if I have a pocket revision?

Replace Implants With Pocket Revision?

You would likely not have to replace your implants for an uncomplicated pocket revision unless the pocket is being revised for a problem such as capsular contracture. If that were the case then you would almost certainly need to replace the implant to lower the risk of recurrent capsular contracture. 

Pocket Revision

If the pocket revision is for capsular contracture, yes.  If not, then it is probably not necessary. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Reoperative breast surgery and implant replacement

Your existing implants can be used for revisionary breast surgery, assuming there is no issues with implant rupture, gel bleed or capsular contracture. I do believe that re-using the implants during a second surgery will void the manufacturer's warranty on the implants.

If you are otherwise happy with the implants you have and they are only 2 years old it is unlikely they would need to be replaced, but it would take a consultation and exam to have all the information we would need to give you the best answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Not necessary

Depends on the condition of the implants and if capsular contracture was an issue! Seek a nearby plastic surgeon for advice 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Not necessarily at 2 years, especially if you're not wanting to change size or shape.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question.  Whether or not to exchange breast implants will depend on your goals;  in other words, if your breast size/shape goals are achieved with the current breast implants ( once the breast implant pockets have been adjusted), the same breast implants can be re utilized.  These types of decisions are often best made during surgery, once the breast implant capsule adjustments have been made;  the analogy I use in my practice is that the foundation of the "building" (breast implant pocket) needs to be fixed first, then the appropriate breast implant size/profile can be selected.  Obviously, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be critical. In my practice, this preoperative communication is best done with the help of goal photographs. I hope this, and the attached link dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns, helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Revision

At 2 years after surgery, we would try to use the same implants. I would have a spare just in case but would rarely if ever need to use one. Ask your surgeon about their preference. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS