Do any of you Portland, OR (or suburbs) doctors use Progressive Tension Sutures and drainless for tummy tucks?

Abdominopladty

Thanks for the question, it's a pretty common one that we get. I think you'll find most experienced surgeons use the progressive tension closure and a few of them avoid drains. I personally prefer drains because we frequently get  hundred cc or so of drainage from a patient even with a progressive tension closure during that first week and  I prefer drains to help my patients avoid seromas and the subsequent complications there of. The drains basically have no downside other than minor discomfort.

Thank you for the question. I wouldn't focus too much on whether a surgeon uses drains. It's more important to focus on an excellent outcome. When reviewing before-and-after pictures it's important to make sure that the scar is kept low, so that it is concealed by underwear. Look at the improvement in flattening, and narrowing, the waistline. I use drains in my tummy tuck patients. The drains stay in for 1-2 weeks and are removed when the output is sufficiently low. 

Some excellent plastic surgeons use drains, some use internal quilting sutures, and some use both. Whether a surgeon uses drains or not should be one of the least important factors in choosing the surgeon. The choice of drains or no drains should depend on the extent of the procedure and the surgeon’s opinion based on his or her experience. Good results have been obtained both with and without drains. The length of the recovery and the extent of swelling are not diminished in procedures where no drains are used.

What is far more important, is the choice of the surgeon. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. While a second or third opinion may be worthwhile, continuing to pursue consultations until you get the answers that you think that you want to hear may not necessarily be in your best interest. If you are ambivalent, don’t do the procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon