How long do most doctors recommend wearing a compression garment after tumescent lipo of the upper and lower abdomen plus hips?

I really don't want to wear a compression garment any longer than absolutely necessary. I am going to be in a very hot climate about 4 weeks after the surgery and am worried about how restrictive and hot it will be. I am a 60 year old woman, 5" 3", 145 lbs.

Length of Time to Wear Compression Garment

I recommend wearing the compression garment for 4-6 weeks following surgery.  After this period of time, you can wear Spanx.  The compression garments are thicker than the Spanx but are needed for compression while healing.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Compression for 6 weeks

The compression garment should be tight enough so that you feel like you have something on, but not so tight that it hurts.  It should be smooth and even with no ribs bones or seems that leave indentations in the skin.  If you are swelling then the garment is either too loose or you are doing too much.  You might need a lighter garment to sleep in and a tighter garment for the daytime.  The garment should extend beyond the borders of the treated areas in every direction.

Thank you for your question.  I generally ask my patients to wear a compression garment 3-4 weeks.  The compression garment helps limit the swelling, helps tighten the area, and is usually more comfortable to wear than not wearing it, early after surgery.  Some patients will transition to a "Spanx" like garment at 3 weeks.  Ask your surgeon what their preference is for compression garments after liposuction.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Liposuction Garment Protocol

Hi and thanks for your question.  I often recommend to my patients to wear the first stage garment for 4 weeks 24 hours a day.  But it is dependent on what surgery was performed and the protocol of your particular surgeon.  Check back with your surgeon if you have questions.  I wish you the best.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Lipo garments are routinely worn for 4 weeks.

Lipo garments are routinely worn for 1 week day and night and 3 more weeks during the day and off at night. They are very shear so heat isn't as big of a deal as you may think.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

I ask that my patients wear the compression garment for two weeks day and night, and then two more weeks during the day. At the third week, I do allow patients to go to a lighter weight garment like a Spanx. the garments are important to help control the swelling, to help you tissue tighten and heal, and to improve comfort.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon