Mommy makeover with thalassemia

My surgery was set for September 21st and I had been emailing the front desk about my thalassemia, no one acted like it would be an issue. Today I was told to go get my blood test done, we started to talk about my thalassemia, she talked with the surgeon and he said no to the surgery. I'm upset that this wasn't caught months ago, we have paid for tickets and hotel. Is it unsafe to get a mommy makeover with this? Would it be better to do the surgery separately? Is 12 areas of lipo just as risky?

Mommy make-over and thalassemia

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Your surgeon's first concern should have been making sure surgery was safe for you at the start.
  • I am sorry he didn't do this - but at least you found out before surgery that this wasn't important to him.
  • Some patients with thalassemia can have elective surgery -
  • First ask your hematologist if s/he would clear you for surgery.
  • Then find a plastic surgeon in Portland to do your surgery.
  • You are actually very lucky to have found out now, before surgery, instead of afterwards.
  • I believe you have had a lucky escape.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. It is very upsetting that this was not attended before. I do feel the surgeon should apologize on behalf of the staff and see how they can best accommodate you since you already incurred expenses. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover with thalassemia

The front desk of the surgeon are not medical personnel and are not the surgeon. Communications should be with the surgeon who is doing the surgery. Thalassemia is a serious  condition and surgery can have important implications in patients with Thalassemia, major or minor.You should have in person consultation with the surgeon and all your questions answered. pre-operative clearance by the hematologist and the family physician and full blood work, renal function, and assessment of the spleen is needed prior to planning any surgery. Do your surgery in your home town.

Mommy makeover with thalassemia

You are correct that the issue should have been discussed and a decision made when you had your first consult. Hard to understand how this slipped up, but you may, in the future, want to work with a more organized surgical office. As to the safety, you first need to get cleared for the surgery by your hematologist, and then, prior to surgery, make sure your hemoglobin levels are optimized by working with the hematologist and plastic surgeon as a team. Liposuction is the operation we do that has the highest blood loss, even though it is just in the form of bruising, and may be a poor choice for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD