Do I only need a lift or implants as well? (Photo)

I am 18 years old and have always been self conscience about my breasts. I'm a 36DD and my breasts have always been very saggy, and I have very big areoles. Should I just get a lift or also have implants? I want them to last, and I'm infertile so no kids! Please help!

Do I only need a lift or implants as well?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Do I only need a lift or implants as well

Most women who experience #sagging of the #breasts are potential candidates for a breast lift. A #mastopexy or breast lift will improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. Those with breast #sagging or #ptosis experience improvements with the surgery. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. In some cases, the insertion of an implant, may be advisable, or your own fat can be transferred to enlarge and shape the breast.

Also, developmental problems such as #asymmetric breasts, one breast is lower than the other, or differences in size can be addressed with a #BreastLift.

Additionally, the procedure provides an opportunity to create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

Breast lift plus implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you definitely need a breast lift.  You do have a good amount of volume that would give you a nice result.  If you want to increase your breasts' volume, I recommend that you consider a small implant which is a procedure I perform for many of my patients.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

You are an excellent candidate for just a lift.  You have a lot of volume.  A lift will make your areolas a little smaller and improve their position on the breast mound.  If after a lift, you want a little more volume, I would recommend fat transfer. 

Breast implants are great for flat chested ladies but almost always sets the patient up for further surgeries down the line. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Lift With or Without Implants

Based on the pictures you have provided, it does not appear that implants would be necessary in addition to a breast lift. You may lose a small amount of volume as a result of the lift, but if you are currently satisfied with your volume you will likely be satisfied with your post op volume as well.

Traci Temmen, MD

Traci Temmen, MD

Breast Lift Candidate

If you are happy with your breast volume, then you do not need implants.  A breast lift will reshape your breast for a pleasing cosmetic result.  I also disagree with a number of the previous opinions that a breast lift alone will significantly change your breast volume or size.   It will not.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast lift alone versus mastopexy augmentation

Firstly, I will disagree with a number of the previous opinions that a breast lift alone will significantly change your breast volume or size. It will not.  It removes a small amount of skin and will significantly tighten the skin envelope, that's all.

If you are happy with your size, I would recommend a breast lift without implants, unless you really desire more upper pole fullness.  Some of this can be achieved with a mastopexy alone, but better fullness is definitely achieved with an implant.

At your young age, I would personally recommend steering away from an implant at the present time.  Find an experience board certified plastic surgeon and review you options in person.  Best of luck.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

You have a developmental issue with your breasts, and you are an excellent candidate for a breast lift to elevate your nipples and breasts and reduce the size of your areolae. You would only need implants if you wanted to be larger than your current DD cup, or if you wanted more upper pole fullness of the breast than you would get from a lift alone. However, the cost, complexity of the surgery, and risk of needing further revision surgeries would be higher if you opt for implants at the time of the lift. I would recommend a breast lift, and you could always decide on implants later should you so desire.

Breast Implants, a Breast Lift or Both ( An Augmentation Mammoplasty)

Your photos clearly show that you need a breast lift or mastopexy to reduce the size of your areolas and to lift your breasts up to a level that looks better or is less saggy. With a DD breast, which your photos suggest you are, there should be no need for breast implant. That would only make you bigger. A mastopexy will make your breasts slightly smaller but only slightly and not enough that you would notice.

I hope the helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Need a lift or implants as well

If you are already a DD I think just a lift should be adequate to give you a good cosmetic result. An implant will add size, and can be done but then you would be larger than a DD.

Julio Garcia, MD