What kind of implant would be best for me? (Photo)

I am a 34 D but my boobs don't feel big. One is bigger than the other, and when I lose weight they look even more deflated. I want a natural look.

Natural looking breast implants

there are numerous decisions to be made with breast implants even beyond which implant. There is no right answer! On paper, you seem to be someone who would be right for form stable "gummy bear" tear drop shaped implants, but my experience with cosmetic breast augmentation with patients with your desires and these implants have not been as good as those with cohesive gel round implants. 

Beyond which type of implant to pick, size and which pocket to place the implant will depend a lot on your chest measurements, your desired look and lifestyle. 

Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Any implant would work for you

as there really isn't any benefit to using shaped implants as some surgeons claim... ok, maybe in very limited situations, an anatomic implant may be considered but with what you have, any implant will work.  You do have to consider different sized implants or a minimal reduction on the larger side with same sized implants BUT now you have the lift scars and are exposed to the risks that come with mastopexies.  If uncertain, just have the asymmetric augmentation first and then decide if you want an office lift on your droopier side.

Curtis Wong, MD

What kind of implant would be best for me?

Thank you for your question.  You do have asymmetry which you may want to be addressed.  If you want symmetry and a small breast lift with implant on the right lower breast and a slightly larger implant on the left breast may be your best option.  For what it is worth, at a recent meeting of board certified plastic surgeons a survey revealed that 83% choose smooth round silicone gel implants.  It is best to choose the best surgeon for you first and follow that surgeon's advice regarding recommendations of implant type and size.

What implant is best?

It is a deceptively tricky question.  You will do best with a silicone implant but that is really the easiest part of planning your surgery.  To stay natural looking don't go too big.  You probably have enough tissue to have your implants placed above the muscle.  Your asymmetry is also tricky.  It seems like your right breast is bigger but the nipple is lower and the inframammary fold is higher.  That can be fixed but would require breast lift scars.  An in person interview will be required to get a precise plan.  Be sure to clearly state your goals and choose an experienced surgeon.  

Breast Augmentation

Photos are never a good way of making judgement calls, but there is more to your asymmetry than just a volume difference.  Additionally, there may be an element of sagging that will affect your outcome with implants alone, and possibly be improved by use of a breast lift. There is no particular implant that is best for some, while another implant may be best for others. Each type has its pluses and minuses. Having said that, my opinion is that saline implants should be relegated to the history books, leaving silicone gel implants and highly cohesive, form stable silicone gel implants as your two options. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What kind of breast implant would be best for me?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. or the type of implant. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

In order to make an implant choice for you that has value, we would need a consultation and examination to get a more thorough idea of your goals and also some chest measurements. But in general, with your anatomy, I would lean towards the Natrelle  style 15 silicone gel device. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best Breast Implant?

The type and style of implant will depend on your ultimate goals, as well as your tissue measurements. Given that your nipple-areola position is above the fold, a breast lift would not be required. Your modest asymmetry can be corrected using slightly different sizes. You have a nice shape to start with, and should be able to obtain a very good result using either saline or gel implants.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery. Based on your photos you have a good amount of breast tissue already. In this situation a round silicone implant gives a nice result. For patients who are very very thin, with little breast tissue, I typically recommend a shaped implants to add not only volume, but give the breast shape. In order to a obtain a "natural" result of avoid implants that have a lot of projection. This would include ultra-high or high profile implants. The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body. Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size. Read your surgeon's reviews carefully. In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve. Good luck with the process!

Breast implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD