Where is the incision placed for explant in a person who has previously had a breast lift?

I had my implants removed. I was (sadly)surprised to find that the incision to remove them was made on the vertical line from the nipple to the crease (old scar from breast lift). I assumed he would but on the crease under the breast. What is the common place for an incision for explant, is there a medical reason to make the cut where it was made?

Your surgeon likely used this scar to gain better access to the implant pocket to make removal easier.  When I remove implants and do a lift at the time of removal, I routinely use the vertical incision to remove the implant.  The exposure is much better than an inframammary incision especially when removing the capsule (the scar tissue around the implant).  It would have been nice for him to discuss this with you preoperatively but the vertical scar will settle down over a few months and likely look just about the same as it did before implant removal.

Breast implant removal incision

Breast implant removal incision Is usually placed in the previous incision unless there is a specific reason not to, such as unstable skin or capsular contracture. This is usually discussed ahead of time with the plastic surgeon in the pre operative appointment.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - incision placed for explant

In general, an existing scar is used for any procedure, whenever possible.  The exact scar should ideally be discussed in advance so that you are not surprised with what you see.  In this case, though, one advantage of using the vertical limb is that it is more central to the operative field than the lower one is (ie, if anything is being done aside from just removing the implant - like removing part of the capsule - it is a long way from the lower incision to the upper pole of the breast capsule).  Fortunately, it usually heals well so that will hopefully not be an issue for you going forward.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Implant removal

Generally a previous scar is used for implant removal.  I'm sorry that you weren't happy with the chosen location.  It would have been better if the incision location was discussed.

Camille Cash, MD

Incision used to explant implants

Generally in most cases I try to use the incision that was made for the insertion of the implants. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Incision

In removing breast implants we always use a scar that is already there, why creat further scarring

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Incision for implant removal

Either the vertical or the horizontal scar can be used, and they both heal fine in general. There's already a scar there so going through the scar again is usually not a problem.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Placement

The choice to use the vertical incision is not incorrect.  Any incision through a previous scar is appropriate.

I would not be discouraged.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The vertical scar usually heals very well.  Typically, the surgeon uses an old scar for implant removal especially if the scar has healed well because it will end up as good the second time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Selecting an explant incision

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

Although usually a surgeon would discuss the incision with you in advance, it makes sense to me to use an existing scar rather than place a new scar on your breast - especially if the scar has healed well because it will end up as good the second time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS