I am nine weeks post face/neck lift and serious neck remains. (Photo)

I see very little improvement in neck after nine weeks. The whole point of facelift was to get rid of neck, as I knew lipo alone wouldn't do it. So much scarring for nothing! Is there any hope of improvement after nine weeks? Would a revision help? Thank you for your time!

Face and neck lift - will I see more improvement?

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.
  • I am so sorry you aren't seeing the results you hoped for.
  • I believe you are the same woman who went to Mexico for her surgery.
  • Without before photos for comparison, one can't be sure but I would expect more improvement by this time in most people.
  • Revisions are not done for at least 6 months after surgery -
  • What you might do now is find a plastic surgeon near you for a consultation whom you would trust enough to do a revision if it becomes necessary.
  • Given the scars, I myself would not want to return to the original surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Reasonable results for facelift at 9 weeks?

Reasonable results for facelift at 9 weeks?  I would need to see your pre-operative photos but in general the results at nine weeks should look much better than what you were showing. Unless there are unusual circumstances you will probably need to have a revision in the future. 

It would help to see what your pre-op photos were like. Perhaps you had a huge neck with lots of skin and fat. At any rate, allow full healing to occur and tissues to often and be reevaluated to see if further change can be made in fat removal/skin redraping and your scars repositioned closer to the hairline. More than one opinion will be useful.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Reasons for facelift problems

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your result. I would definitely recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It looks as if there was no direct treatment of the neck. If you don't have a scar under your chin, then the muscles of the neck were not treated directly. This will limit the amount of lift you will get from the sides. Some patients are great candidates for just a lift from the sides, while others absolutely need the additional lift directly under the chin. It looks like you are the latter. However, all is not lost since a revision facelift can definitely improve the appearance of your neck. The revision facelift can also significantly improve the scars. I'd recommend you see a surgeon that specializes in facial rejuvenation.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Plastic SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult experience, but there is hope. First, you need to wait to let your scars mature. You may want to approach your surgeon at that point about revising to improve scar placement and sharpening your neck.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you still have significant swelling.  However, I am concerned that you still have significant fat/skin in the neck region.  Your posterior scar appears off of the ideal hairline incision.  It is very difficult to give advice to you without seeing your pre-op photos.  My best advice is to return to your primary surgeon and share your concerns.  If you still have concerns after that, then seek another opinion with a facelift expert.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Neck lift and Face lift healing

I am sorry to hear about your facial rejuvenation experience.  Since it is early I would wait and have more of the healing take place to determine how much of the current neck appearance is swelling.  The good news is that even if things stay the way they are, a revision, if done properly can fix the neck profile appearance as well as place the scar at the hairline and make it less visible.I hope this helps,All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Problems with Neck After Facelift

Thanks for you question, I am curious, do you have an incision under your chin? Was liposuction performed?My concern is that you still (as you notice) have fullness under your chin, which 'could' be swelling, but I worry it is not. It appears to be loose skin and some fat. Also, the scar behind your ear is a bit out of place but given that you are pulling your hair, it is difficult to know 100%. It should however, be right at or in your hairline. My advice, see your primary surgeon and talk about your concerns. Another good option is to see another Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon to get a second opinion. 
Even though it is early, I think it is a bit obvious you may not get the results you had hoped. I'm sorry to be a downer, but I'd rather be honest. Dr J Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Neck Lift

The reason that you aren't having the result you were hoping for is that the neck was not pulled vertically. Any time you pull the neck sideways, it becomes the dominant force, which causes the skin of the upper neck below the chin to bulge outward. I rely on the vertical neck lift, in which the skin and the muscle below the chin and above the Adam's apple is returned to the face and not pulled outward toward the back of the ear. This creates a much more natural outcome.

Michael Byun, MD

Neck fullness

You certainly do have some neck fullness. It would be better if you could provide your pre-op pictures as well in order to compare. I would also check with your surgeon to see whether he did a sub-mental liposuction at the time of surgery. If he did, then I would seek out a second opinion.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon