I have a tooth that needs a root canal, there is a crown on that tooth?

Should I be on antibiotics? The tooth is throbbing and sensible to heat. Dr says Advil? 4 days till root canal.

Antibiotics are only for infections

Teeth needing root canal therapy aren't always "infected" so antibiotics may not be needed or recommended.  Root canal therapy (RCT) can be done thru the crown, but when treatment is complete a new crown would likely be best.

Seattle Dentist

WHAT TO DO.

I WOULD CONSIDER SEEING SOMEONE ELSE IF THIS HAPPENED TO ME.  THE TOOTH SHOULD BE TREATED AS AN EMERGENCY.  HEAT SENSITIVITY MAY BECOME CONSTANT PAIN QUICKLY.  ENDODONTICS/ROOT CANAL THERAPY  CAN BE DONE THROUGH THE CROWN AND THE OPENING IN THE CROWN IN MOST  INSTANCES CAN BE REPAIRED.  ANTIBIOTICS ARE NOT INDICATED BASED ON YOUR CURRENT SYMPTOMS,  HOWEVER IF THIS IS NOT TREATED IMMEDIATELY AND THE INFECTION IN THE TOOTH SPREADS TO END OF THE ROOT INTO THE BONE OR BEYOND THEN ANTIBIOTICS MAY BE NECESSARY.

Dental crowns

Hi, thanks for write... You can take advil but in few days this pain will come back or your nerve will die, so, try to do the root canal thru the dental crown if you don't want to remove or replace. Good luck. 

Jepssy Beltre, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist