I had a very successful full facelift 12 yrs. ago. Now I am considering having some revision work done (mini facelift?).

I am 69, a non-smoker, in very good health, with good skin elasticity. Have gone from size 8 to 14 since 1st f/l (take antidepressants). Fairly content with current body size, do not foresee losing a lot of weight in future. Clearly, would like to proceed w/more surgery, and will consult w/Dr. Petroff eventually. But I am wondering if, in general, I would still be a good candidate for (more) facial plastic surgery, despite my weight. (Sorry, no photos.)

Possible revision facelift at 69

Revision facelifts are commonly performed and your age of 69 would not prevent you from having such a procedure.  You mentioned you are in good health, and the health of the patient is important in determining whether someone may be a good candidate for a cosmetic procedure.  An exam or photos of you would be needed to determine if a revision facelift might be of benefit to you now or not.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift revision

It sounds like although you have gained some weight since your first facelift, your general health has remained good. If this is truly the case, there is not reason why you should not seek a consultation with your plastic surgeon whom performed your first facelift 12 years ago, if he did a great job for you the first time I am sure he will do the same again. Good luck with your future surgery.

Mini Facelift Revision

Hi Judith Burns

Thanks for your post. It is always helpful to the RS community when people post their concerns.

The Concept Facelift is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. This innovative procedure combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days.This is a combination of a SMAS lift and skin tightening that allows the procedure to have it's longevity without the trauma and invasiveness of a traditional facelift.

Given that you have already had a FL - the next one would be slightly more complex as there will be scar tissue present. The PS would not know how this was performed and what kind of sutures were used, so would have to tread carefully. That said, this is still very possible, it would just need a thorough examination and a frank discussion around the possible complications and results.

Good Luck with your journey and it's awesome to hear you are content with your body size.

Second Facelift after weight gain

I believe you would be an ideal candidate.  The weight gain changes a few things from your last facelift when you were thinner.  First, your result will actually be better because there is more volume in the face.  However, because you have more facial tissue, you will also swell and bruise longer than the last facelift you had.  

The other consequence to having a facelift after having a fuller face is your face goes from being completely round to round with a flat area under the neck.  This can look like, in some cases, out of place.  This is a conversation that needs to be had with your surgeon so you can decide if that's a look you want or if you want he or she to try to keep a rounded neck to match the face.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Successful facelift 12 years ago, considering having revision work done

Thank you for your question. Without a photograph, it is difficult to recommend facial plastic surgery. That being said, I expect that your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will include a full face analysis and recommendations based on your aesthetic desires. I wish you the best of luck.

Revision facelifting

good morning!

A revision face lift is commonly performed for patients of all ages.  Age is not a contraindication for surgery- health is.  As long as your are healthy overall, a few extra pounds should not have any significnat increase in complications.

I would consider a preoperative evaulation by your family practice MD to be sure you are in good health prior to proceedding.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Secondary facelift

Secondary facelifts are common usually about 10 years following the first lift.  The tissues will continue to age following the lift and usually it takes about 10 years for the changes to be noticeable.  If you are in good health and have good elasticity a secondary lift may be a good choice for you.

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate?

Great question!   You bring up very good points. It is critical to identify your goals which can be specific or general.  In addition to your goals be able to communicate what is motivating you.  Both of these items will be useful to your surgeon in advising you about your best options. Weight loss will definitely affect the results of any surgery, therefore the most critical issue is stability. If you are overweight there are medical and safety issues that need to be discussed with your surgeon to optimize your results and maximize safety.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Ready for another facelift

Thank you for your post. A well done facelift typically lasts 8-10 years and from the sound of it you had an excellent result after 12 years. Indeed a thorough evaluation would be the best course of action however, a word of caution - if you foresee any weight loss, we typically recommend at least 20 pounds before proceeding with a facelift. Sounds like you are happy where you are at right now which is great! Hope this helps! Dr Miguel

George S. Miguel, DO
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full facelift 12 yrs. ago. Now I am considering having some revision

Hi, I have performed mnay facelifts over the past 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  You can always e-mail these if you don't want to post them here (publicly).  f you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  If there is excess fat in the face this is reduced using facial liposuction.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. I shape the cheeks, chin and jaw line with every facelift procedure.

Hope this helps.