I need a Breast Lift. But, to get upper fullness, would a Fat Transfer be suitable to achieve what I want? (photos)

I am a 32D in VS. I really need a breast lift. But when I get it I won't have the upper pole fullness that I want, like in my wish picture. I have researched a lot but need help. Concern: Implants need to be replaced later in life and complications like rippling or ruptures could occur. Plus, I really want my breasts to look natural. A fat transfer to the breasts seems reasonable to me, since I want to stay about the same size. Would a fat transfer work at my size, to add upper pole fullness?

Upper pole fullness without implants

You are wise in not wanting breast implants. Indeed, they are unstable and are not meant as life long devices. There is a lift that uses your own tissues to provide maximum upper pole fullness without the risks/complications or maintenance associated with breast implants. It has also eliminated the vertical component present in most techniques. I've attached an example of what you can expect with this method. Please note that implants were not used and there is minimal scarring. I hope this helps. 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and fat transfer

Okay, first of all that photo of your ideal breast - that gal is a model.  She makes her living off of her looks.  She is a different species that the rest of us.  Also, she has a stylist and her photo is probably air brushed.  Also, she is probably too young to buy a six-pack and maybe too young to vote! It is useful to have a photo of what you think looks good.  That way you and your surgeon can communicate better. But don't have her in your head as your postoperative result.

Now that I'm done with expectation deflation, you are a GREAT candidate for a breast lift.  A lift will reduce the size of your areola (which will make your breast mound look a lot larger) and will raise your areolar position and provide some upper pole fullness.  If I were your surgeon, I would use SERI surgical scaffolding to help prevent postoperative stretching out of your areolas.  I don't really think you would need fat transfer but if you wanted some more fullness, I would do that maybe three months after your lift.   There would be no scars in any area that is exposed with any sort of reasonable swim wear.

Oh, one more thing.  You don't need implants.  Implants are for flat gals.  That's not you.  Good luck!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Breast lift and fat grafting

Breast fat grafting is very common in my practice.

I have found that grafting fat to the upper breast at the time of mastopexy to be safe and effective at improving overall shape and upper breast fullness. Please refer to my website for before and after pictures.

Dr. Connall

Timothy Connall, MD

I need a Breast Lift. But, to get upper fullness, would a Fat Transfer be suitable to achieve what I want?

Your diagnosis is excess skin for your volume. Reducing  the skin will reshape the breasts along with areola reduction. The breast that you show as desirable-- has a 45/55 volume relationship. That means that 55% of the breast volume is below the nipple and 45% of the breast volume is above the nipple. This relationship and the creation of your desirable result can be achieved --- in the right hands-- with a mastopexy ( breast lift). You will not benefit from fat transfer. There is no place- in my opinion- for breast implants in your current condition. After mastopexy//reshaping- increased volume with implants may be desirable.

Breast lift (mastopexy), breast implants, and fat grafting to breasts

Generally, it would be better to stage a lift before considering fat grafting for breast rejuvenation.  I think the shape of a lift, might be a very nice natural result and the areolar reduction lends a youthful appearance. Many women are happy with just the lift and do not need to add a second procedure.   All surgeries have potential risks and benefits.  Sometimes less surgery is better and adding an implant or fat grafting may not be necessary.

Fat Grafting

I would recommend doing the breast lift and fat grafting first, then if you are not happy with the fullness you could always add an implant after.  It is always best to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in person. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

If you knew...

...the reality of the actual results of fat transfers, the effect they may produce, how long it may last and the long term consequences... you would not even think about this option for your breasts. Advice: don't try to find workarounds, if you don't want breast implants, for whatever founded or not reasons, just refuse them without trying other "magical" and "awesome" options, which are frustrating, fraudulent in terms of achievements and not what you think they are.

Viewing your clear pics you are right saying you need lift and also an implant to fill the upper pole; with all their disadvantages... still the implants are the best and quite recommended option for patients like you.

Give it a think.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Would fat grafting help with upper pole fullness with a breast lift?

You are low breasted and a lift will raise the breasts to the upper border of your breasts, where they are now. Early after surgery, they all look high, but with time the breasts settle at the same level. Fat grafts to the upper pole, into the pectoralis major muscle and deep fat in the breast will give a nice slope close to your wish photo. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in fat grafting techniques. Good luck.

I need a Breast Lift. But, to get upper fullness, would a Fat Transfer be suitable to achieve what I want

Thank you for your question and pics.  You have some breast tissue and once a lift is performed, you may just be happy with your results.  You are slim and may not have enough fat to make a significant difference. Stage the surgeries and after the lift, if you are still not satisfied with the look and/or desire upper pole fullness, then you may consider moving forward with an implant.   I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed examination and discussion of expectations. Best of Luck.

I need a Breast Lift

You have chosen a pretty natural and realistic look for your goal. You have a lot of natural breast tissue so my recommendation would be to get a full lift first. I think you will get pretty close to the goal. Then wait at least 3-4 months for the lift to settle and you may be surprised that no other procedures are necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD