Still hurting after lift, is this normal? Is a long hot bath okay?

I had a breast lift 8 weeks ago my L breast is still hurting so bad underneath from the center out, why ? This has been really painful for me they look good ! went from a 34DD to C , bra/support hurts worse.

#breastlift #plasticsurgery #mastopexy

Hello goducks, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Painful breasts

Thank you for your question.  It is uncommon to have significant pain 8 weeks after surgery.  Occassional, shortlived pain is normal and resolves with time.  Prolonged pain may suggest another issue that may require treatment.  Retained sutures, unfavorable scarring, trauma of surgery,temporary or permanent sensory nerve injury are all possible causes.  Re-evaluation by your surgeon is indicated. There area options for improving your condition.  A warm bath is ok if it is soothing.  Be carefull with heating pads as the breast may still be numb and can lead to burns.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Breast lift after 8 weeks - still have pain

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• You may have irritated nerves along the ribs near the surgery.
  • Please return to your surgeon 
  • Have your surgeon do a nerve block at the point where the pain begins on the side of the chest.
  • Often a single block gets rid of the pain - for almost everyone, it significantly improves it.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Reduction recovery

It's nice to hear that you're pleased with your result so far. It's not uncommon to have persistent scar tenderness at 8 weeks post surgery. In addition, I do find that it is the outer (or lateral) portion of the horizontal scar that is the most troublesome. Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon regarding scar care is a good idea and at the same time they can rule out any other causes for your discomfort.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Pain post Breast Reduction

Hi and thanks for your question. Breast reduction is major surgery and it is not unusual for scars to be uncomfortable until at least 3 months post surgery. In particular the scar under your breast can be very sore especially if you wear an underwired bra. It is pleasing that you like the new shape, but you should make an appointment ASAP to see your surgeon, so they can examine you and ensure there is not a more serious underlying problem. Please make this appointment sooner than later.