Double chin five weeks after neck/mid facelift. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am five weeks and three days out from my neck and face lift, and it seems that my neck/double chin is nearly as bad as it was before surgery. It was nice and flat about a week out from surgery, but now it's almost back to before. I was told that the doctor strives to achieve a 45 degree angle, but I was not told this before surgery (I assume she meant a 135 (90 + 45) degree angle, which is almost straight up and down!) I would have wanted a 90 degree angle. Thank you!

DOUBLE CHIN AFTER FACELIFT

It appears you had a pretty good result from the surgery given the extent of the "double chin" pre operatively.  Visit your surgeon now for reassurance but you will likely be told to wait at least three months for the best results. You are still in the early postoperative stages.

Residual Swelling Possible

Hi, HowDoYouKnow. At about 5 weeks after a mid facelift and neck lift, the fullness beneath the chin may be caused by swelling, and that's a normal part of the healing process. Even though most swelling resolves within a month of the procedure, in some cases residual swelling persists for much longer. It's difficult to know what's happening in your case without knowing the surgical technique used by your plastic surgeon. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about your concerns if the swelling persists much longer. Good luck to you.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Fullness after facelift

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry you are having some concerns after your surgery.  I would say at just 5 weeks post op you most likely are still swollen and that is why you still have the fullness under your chin.  For the first few weeks for swelling to come and go is very normal.  Wearing a chin strap can help to keep the swelling down.  I can take several months for the swelling to go down completely.  Make sure to follow up with your surgeon for regular visits and let him know about your concerns.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Fullness after Facelift

Thank you for your question!  I am sorry that your are having some concerns after your facelift.  I would say swelling may be the reason as to why you are having a persistent fullness under the chin.  This should subside with time, and may simply not have fully subsided since your operation.  I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as he/she know exactly what happened during your procedure.  From your pictures, it looks as if you are healing very well.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin the same after lift

Thank you for sharing your concerns. There are several reasons one of which is residual Postop swelling. Others are low lying submandibular glands, forward positioned Adam's apple, or short neck. These factors make it difficult to achieve a 90 degree angle between the neck and chin. Your surgeon is the best one to speak to as they know what exactly was done. Best wishes. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin five weeks after neck/mid facelift. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question.This is a difficult question to answer, because there are many ways to perform a face and neck lift.  In my office, techniques that improve neck contour can include removing fat above and below the platysma muscle, performing an anterior platysmaplasty, liposuction and moving a portion of the SMAS behind the ear to create a sling that supports the neck soft tissues. It's possible that there still may be some residual swelling that is adding fullness to the neck and this may improve with time.Address your concerns with your surgeon. They are your best resource as they know the exact surgical procedure and the anticipated improvement and time of recovery.

Chin fullness possibly due to swelling

Since you are still fairly early in your recovery process, your chin fullness could very well be due to swelling. For now, I would advise you to be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to heal. If you are still unhappy at the 6 month post op mark then schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

It is somewhat concerning that you believe that you had what you desired one week after surgery but now feel as if there has been no improvement over your pretreated appearance. There may be a few reasons that could explain this phenomenon. I suggest that you return to your surgeon for him to evaluate your condition.  He probably has preoperative photographs for comparison.  You may be surprised at the amount of improvement actually gained. If you are still dissatisfied additional surgical correction or nonsurgical correction such as injections with Kybella may be a consideration.

Norman H. Rappaport, MD

Hello HowDoYouKnow,The most common reason to still have fullness in your neck at 5 weeks is swelling from surgery.  The neck is one of the last places for the swelling to go away from because of gravity.  Other reasons you may still have fullness include having your submandibular glands (two spit glands below your jawline) being low or droopy or having a bone in your neck (the hyoid bone) that is too far forward or low which limits the angle that can be created in the neck.I'd recommend you continue to follow up with your surgeon to see what procedure was performed and express your concerns.  I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon