Am I a good candidate for ptosis repair and bletharoplasty? (photos)

I really want to fix the congenital ptosos on my left eye. I had it lifted when I was 5 yrs old but it has gotten worse over the years. I am wondering if I should go ahead and correct the drooping That has begun on my rt eye at the same time? My only fear is becoming more assymetrical or not being able to close my left eye since the lid is already shortened. I know perfect symmetry isn't realistic but do you think I could get noticeable improvement with surgery? Any advice would be so appreciated!

Doctor Answers 3

Both eyelids are ptotic.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Just fixing the left eye will suddenly make the right upper eyelid heavy.  That is because you are putting energy into both eyelids to open the eyes.  In fact the right brow looks higher than the left brow.  After surgery on just the left eye, the incentive to hold the eyes open will be reduced and suddenly it will make the right upper eyelid look heavy.  For this reason both upper eyelids need to be carefully assessed.  I would be very conservative with the upper blepharoplasty.  Less is more.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory that can assist you to find a highly qualified oculoplastic surgeon (ASOPRS dot org).

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You certainly do have subtle ptosis on both eyelids and a conservative ptosis and blepharoplasty could be considered. Based on your photos, I don't believe that it is affecting your vision, so this will likely be a cosmetic surgery that your insurance will not cover. However, an in person consultation would be required to determine that.
I have posted a photo of a similar patient. This patient had ptosis surgery only, without any blepharoplasty.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Droopy eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is best to obtain in person consultation, examination.  There appears to be mild eyelid ptosis left more than right, but not sure if enough for surgery yet. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.