How concerned should I be with an opening in my incision that has developed following a thigh lift?

I am 4 weeks post op from a thigh lift, and have been back to work for 2 weeks. I spend 8 hours a day on my feet. I developed two small openings that have since mostly closed, but a larger and painful separation occurred two days ago. It is located in the crease in the perineum area. I really can't afford to take time off work, but I will if I need to. Should I be concerned enough to take time off to heal? Does it require sutures? Thanks?

Perineum scar

Hello and thank you for your question. It's a little difficult to tell exactly what the wound looks like from your photos,  but from what I can see it looks clean and we'll granulated (beefy red)(which is good). This should close itself over the next one to three weeks.  Keep it clean in a shower and cover with dry gauze. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wound Breakdown Following Thigh Lift Surgery

It's not unusual for patients to develop small areas of breakdown along their incisions following thigh lift surgery. These wounds are usually managed with local wound care and tend to heal nicely. It's important to maintain close contact with your surgeon to avoid secondary complications. When these steps are taken, most patients are ultimately happy with their result.

Wound opening after thigh lift

Thigh lifts are among the most complex plastic surgery operations. It is not unusual to see wound separation. I would ask your surgeon for advice and expectations.  Sometimes consulting with the local wound center may be helpful (usually associated with a hospital).

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wound separation after thigh lift.

Minor wound separations are fairly common after thigh lifts and body lifts.  They usually heal up on their own although it can take many weeks.   You need to check in with your plastic surgeon so he/she can teach you proper wound care. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Opening of incision

Thank you for your pictures. There should be mild concern. I would revisit with your plastic surgeon to get a strategy for local wound care. The area cannot be re-stitched. It will typically heal on its on with good local care.