Would a breast reduction/lift work for me? (Photo)

Hi, I've had very large breasts since age 11, and I've had a lot of back and shoulder problems that I'm pretty sure are at least partly related to that. I wear about a 38G. When I lose weight (on a diet this spring and 10 pounds so far!), it never seems to come from my chest. I'm 46 years old (no birth kids), and it seems like they could also be perkier. I don't want the "pointed to the ceiling" look, just a bit of lift. Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction/lift or maybe both?

A breast reduction will be great for you

from what you describe.  The only question is whether the reduction you desire is enough to qualify for a medically necessary procedure where your insurance will cover it.  But you can also just see a surgeon about a mastopexy (they cost less) and remove some tissue at the same time and just pay out of pocket for it.  Pathology should be done on your tissue as a significant amount will be removed.  Know what you desire when you see your surgeon and let your surgeon guide you through the decision process.

Breast reduction candidate

Based on your two photos, you appear to be a candidate for a breast reduction, which reduces the size and weight of the breast and lifts the breast into a more youthful position, not "pointed to the ceiling".  A breast reduction can be a life-changing procedure for most women due to the relief they get from reducing the weight of their breast.  I suggest findings a plastic surgeon in your area, who you feel comfortable with.  Good luck!

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos, you would appear to be an excellent cadndidate for a breast reduction procedure to produce beauitful overall rersults.  Scheudle a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options, address your goals and concerns, then together create the surgical plan that will best help you achieve your desired goals.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

The same technique

You must know that breast lift and breast reduction are EXACTLY the same technique, like two sides of a coin; on every large breast reduced a life is acomplished, and whenever we lift a breast a part of the gland and skin is cut away. The fact we use one term or the other is just based on what prevails.

You are a case for a breast reduction, eventually with inverted T / anchor / Wise pattern scars or, if the surgeon is skilled, only vertical scar by means of the very difficult Lejour technique.

Do seek opinions.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Would a breast reduction/lift work for me?

Thank you for your question.  Based on the photos (although poor quality), it appears that you would benefit from a breast reduction.  The breast reduction would also lift your breasts, make them rounder and more perky.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and pictures. Due to the quality of the pictures, it may be hard to give you specific advice. However, based on your description of your symptoms, you sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction. You may even qualify for insurance coverage of your breast reduction if you meet certain criteria. You should contact a local board certified plastic surgeon and ask if they do breast reductions for insurance, which can often be pre-approved before surgery. If so, see them for a consultation and exam to discuss your options. 

Good luck!

Am I a candidate for breast reduction/breast lift

yes you certainly are a candidate for breast reduction. Breast lift is an integral part of the traditional breast reduction with elevation of nipples and removal of excess skin.
Good luck

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

From your photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction, which essentially always includes a breast lift to elevate the low nipple position, reduce the overhang of the breast, and tighten the skin around the smaller volume of breast tissue.

Breast Reduction, which includes a major lift to the breast tissues, is a common procedure and in our facility done with a general anesthesia on an outpatient basis. Sometimes, but not always, it is covered by health insurance. Patients seem to be universally happy with the improvement and reduction in aching and discomfort in their back, neck, and shoulders. Most patients are up and around the house the next day and back to desk type work in one week on ibuprofen. Patients who smoke are required to cease all tobacco products for 2-4 weeks before and after the surgery to reduce risks to healing. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction/ Lift?

Based on your photos and information you would seem to be a very good candidate for Breast Reduction surgery.  The desired size would be something that you and your Plastic Surgeon would discuss thoroughly.  Looking at representative preop and postop photos with your surgeon would also be very helpful.
Best of luck.

James L. Moore, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon