Breast asymmetry and mommy makeover. Is it better to lose 100lbs quickly or slowly? (Photo)

Is it better to lose 100 pounds quickly or slowly?

Weight loss

Thank you for your question and photo.  More importantly than how fast you lose the weight is whether or not you you have found a HEALTHY way of doing so.  I recommend that my patients implement and maintain a diet that is high in protein and low in/void of carbs and sugar.  The time table for losing weight according to this weight loss plan is not set in stone, but many patients find it to be extremely effective.  Equally important to losing the weight is making sure that you keep in off further down the road.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Weight loss

For the sake of your health and ability to maintain the weight off, I recommend that you consult with a nutritionist or dietician and follow a plan to take the weight off in a healthy way. This is generally slower than crash diets but sustainable and more successful. Your results will be well worth the work.

All the best!

Breast Asymmetry and mommy makeover with weight loss

Many of my patients seem to be more successful with long term weight loss and stability when they lose the weight slowly.  I think the key is not how fast you lose it but if you have learned techniques for long term weight management.  That may be thought of in terms of food management, movement and exercise, and sometimes counseling. Once these issues have been sorted through successfully, then the final step can be plastic surgery. With these steps to success, then they can maintain the results of a mommy makeover or body rejuvenation for a long period of time.

Rate of weight loss

Hi, jlopez2014.  Weight loss should be done in a safe, healthy way whether it be rapid or slow.  However, if you lose 100lb rapidly by not eating properly, you may have a higher risk for wound healing.  You also want to make sure that you reach the goal weight and be able to maintain that weight after the surgery.  We try to give patients the best contour at their current stable weight.  If patients gain weight, the outcome of the surgery will not be as good.  Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Hi thanks for your inquiry, and for your picture. You are on the right track, you need to lose weight in order to 1. have less probability of possible complications 2. get better results. Try to get as close as to your ideal weight as possible first. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page: discuss thoroughly all your concerns, options and expectations. Have a safe and happy PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Rapid weight loss is physiologically a bit harder on a patient.

If you need to lose 100 pounds, proceed with whatever method is successful. Rapid weight loss creates a catabolic situation in most plastic surgeons would delay elective procedures for several months after ideal weight loss is achieved for the purposes of physiologic stability.

Breast asymmetry and mommy makeover. Is it better to lose 100lbs quickly or slowly?

It's best to lose that much weight in whatever manner you can maintain so you don't see a yoyo effect, bouncing up and down in weight. The time of the loss is immaterial.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  In my experience, most patients who decide to proceed with mommy makeover surgery operations, wish to do so as soon as possible and use whatever modality available to lose the weight as quickly as possible.

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.