Can Botox be placed in depressor muscles to look less bulky around the mouth? Can it make saggy lower mouth look lifted? (Photo)

I had restylane injected into fill my nasolabial folds, outer corners of mouth to give a "lift" and depressor muscles to "even things out". I didnt really want it in the corners or depressor muscle area and now I look like Ive gained weight around my mouth and it seems it worked for naso folds for only 2 days now my folds look worse than they did before. I wanted botox in depressor muscles to look less bulky but my injector suggested the restylane. Can botox make things better?

Botox for downturned smile

Botox can be injected into the depressor muscles of the mouth to lift the corners of the mouth.  This does not usually effect the bulkiness of the chin area to which you are complaining.  However, It would likely help the resting look of the lips.

New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Chin Injections

Botox should not be used in this area as if you do it can cause your lip to droop and you to drool and be unable to smile or hold food when you chew. I suggest you get fillers in this area to balance your chin to your lips.  I know others will say botox can be used for the lip corners but the injection to the DAO is more along the jawline and likely will not make a difference in area you are pointing to.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox to lift the corners of the mouth

Botox can be used to improve a mouth frown by lifting the corners of the mouth.  This treatment is an advanced technique and should be performed by an experienced physician.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox for depressor muscles

Yes it can be injected around the mouth but only by a very experienced injector. Good luck

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Botox in the corners of the mouth

You can use Botox to weaken the muscles that pull the corner of the mouth down. The name of the muscle that is targeted is depressor anguli oris (DAO).

hope this helps! 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to Lift the Mouth

You can definitely use Botox injected into the DAO's to lift the depressed smile in conjunction with Restylane injections.  Please consult an expert in Botox.  Best, Dr. Green