Bigger Woman for Tummy Work? (photo)

I am 300lbs and 5'11" I have always struggled with my weight and have always been a big girl. I hate it, I dont have high blood pressure, my heart is healthy, ive been checked for diabetes many times and my dr say i dont have sighs of it. I've lost 90 lbs in about a year. Ive always considered a tummy tuck and pubic lipo so i could begin to work out to keep myself in better shape and to be healthy for my 2 girls. is there any doctor out there who would consider doing the surgery at my size?

Tummy Tuck for overweight woman

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I have performed tummy tucks with liposuction for multiple women with similar issues.  As long as your expectations are reasonable (it sounds like yours are), I think you might be very happy with your results from a full tummy tuck and liposuction.  You will not have a completely flat stomach, and after continued weight loss, you may find you want to have another surgery, but I think that removing the overhang will make you much more comfortable in the gym. 

Bigger Woman for Tummy Work?

Thanks for the question and for enclosing ht., wt, and photos. There is no question you would benefit from an abdominoplasty. However we cannot get the best result while you are at your current BMI. To get into a weight range that would be appropriate for your height would be 220-240 pounds, the closer to 220 (or less) the better. It has to do with safety of the surgery also as well as the final result. Once you get into that weight range, see a board certified plastic surgeon that has considerable experience in body contouring after major weight loss (it is not the same as the usual cosmetic tummy tuck) and get a consultation. You will be very surprised at the pleasing result you can get at that point.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Bigger woman tummy tuck

A staged procedure may be helpful for the larger, non-optimal patient.  While losing more weight makes the anesthesia risks less, it often is problematic to lose the weight.  Consider liposuction of the abdomen and hip rolls.  At a later date the the redundant skin can be removed when a better weight has been achieved.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Tummy Tuck for 5'11'' 300 lbs

There are many patients in which a panniculectomy can be performed to remove the redundant tissue or pannus.  This will allow easier movement and exercise.  However, a tummy tuck requires more extensive dissection and plication would probably not be advised due to compression of pelvic inflow and risk of blood clots in your legs.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

If you think you have plateaued as fat as the weight loss right now then proceeding with the surgery is not an unreasonable choice

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

300 pound tummy tuck

If you are otherwise healthy, a tummy tuck would definitely help you feel better about your appearance and help you get around easier and exercise easier.  In so doing you may find it easier to lose weight after the operation.  You do need to be aware however that if you go on to lose a significant amount of weight (greater than 50 pounds) in the future, you will likely need a second tummy tuck.  

You should also be aware that at your weight and height, weight loss surgery is also an option.  If you would consider that, I would have that done first and then perform the tummy tuck when you are at a stable weight.  Good luck.

Bigger Woman for Tummy Work?

As you cab read the best recommendation is more weight loss. But seek a few in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. Set up a plan with one of them to monitor you over the next 6 months as a team effort. Best of luck. 

Tummy tuck in the obese patient

First, congratulations on the weight loss.  I can see from the photos that you would benefit from the tummy tuck.  You need to understand that the risks are higher in the obese patient and that you would also need to be medically cleared by your internist.  I would recommend that you see him first before exploring plastic surgery.  If he feels that you can undergo surgery, then understand that the operation will be costlier and more difficult than in the thinner patient and that, if you continue to lose weight afterwards, revision, at an additional cost, will be necessary.

Bigger Woman for Tummy Work? (photo)

In an ideal world you would lose another 80 pounds, getting your BMI to 30, and that would decrease your operative risk and improve your outcome.

Congratulations on what you have accomplished so far. It would take another 80 pounds to reach BMI of 30.  That number is a guideline,and not an absolute. The basis is that risks of wound problems and other complications is higher, and the outcomes are not as good. 

But the decision may be to go ahead anyway. When I say the outcome is not as good, one possibility is that you will go on and lose 80 more pounds and you may be looking at another tummy tuck because there will be more excess tissue. 

Best bet would be a consultation with a plastic surgeon, as this will not be resolved on line. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Start with easier procedures.

It sounds like you have made some very nice improvements.  A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure and you want to be in the best condition possible.  Most of the time a patient should be in a weight range that is safe for surgery and reduces the chance of a complication.  The best indicator for this is the BMI scale.  In my practice I ask that the patient be below a BMI of 30 to do a final body shaping procedure. 

Less invasive procedures that might be used in the mean time is a panniculectomy and lift of the pubic area.  Some liposcution could also be done to help with the most significant areas of excess.  Many times this will help the patient on the way to the final goal weight where they can accomplish the nice cosmetic tummy tuck.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon