Can I achieve the look I want with rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I am looking for a plastic surgeon who specializes in round, bulbous, and ethnic noses. I have been having a hard time finding someone in my area who specifically states they specialize in this, but I am willing to travel and pay what I need to, as I am very specific about the outcome and do not want a botched result. If anyone could recommend a specialist, that would be appreciated. 

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip and short nose?

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip and short nose? You need to have the tip cartilages made smaller and mid nose cartilage grafts to fill in the hourglass appearance etc. without shortening the nose further. Therefore, you need to see a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses without further rotation of the tip. Do NOT rely on imaging but rather results of patients like you.

Rhinoplasty candidate

Yes you can achieve a relaly similar result to the one you want, Just make sure to choose a Plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty and you should be fine. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear NikaM808, An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can show you what is and is not possible through rhinoplasty surgery.  Imaging can show you these proposed changes and you can determine if the changes would be your desired result. You have a bulbous tip which will require suturing techniques and conservative cartilage removal to refine the nasal tip. Seek consultations with some experts in the field and then you can make an informed decision. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty - bulbous tip

You have a very straight forward and common issue. You should have a nice result in experienced hands. Best of luck to you.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Scarless Closed Rhinoplasty is the answer

You should seek counsel from a board certified closed rhinoplasty surgeon who performs closed scarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his surgical practice.  All incisions are made inside the nostrils with no external cuts or scars. You could subtly enhance and refine the nose with this technique without drastic change. Meaningful refinement is the key. This can be done with delivery technique and dome binding sutures to help refine the tip to be less bulbous. This is routinely done with amazing results for ethnic patients.  Look for a surgeon who focuses his entire career on rhinoplasty so you can be assured they are expert.  (aka don't get your nose done by a breast or facelift surgeon).    All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty for bulbous nasal tip #plasticsurgery

Based on your photos, you appear to have a narrow nasal vault and a relatively wide and bulbous nasal tip. These features can be corrected by adding a bit of width to your nasal dorsum - spreader grafts are a good way to do this. Your bulbous nasal tip can be corrected with cartilage modification and suturing techniques designed to add support and refinement to the nasal tip. We are happy to see you up in Seattle.

Can I achieve the look I want with rhinoplasty and a chin implant?

The bulbous nasal tip is reduced with suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. Thick skin in that area will be an impediment to seeing significant refinement in the tip. The thickness of the skin will be determined at the time  of the physical examination. It  is also very important to have realistic expectations, since there is no perfect nose even after a rhinoplasty procedure. Digital computer imaging would be helpful to understand what can and cannot be accomplished. The photographs also demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile, for which a chin implant can improve. Placement of a chin implant will help significantly with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nasal tip. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes  and are placed through a small incision underneath the chin. For more information about rhinoplasty and chin implants, please see the link and the video below 

Your wide tip can be narrowed with a rhinoplasty. See my morph.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_NikaM808.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands. I narrowed that wide tip, which looks roundish because of the strength and size and position of the two cartilages that form your tip. The woman in the short video above had similar changes to her nose.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon