Am I a good candidate for an arm lift? (Photo)

I know the arm lift leaves a long scar, but the flabby leftover skin after a 30-pound weight loss seems like it might be worse! Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Am I a good candidate for an arm lift?

Thank you for your question and photo.  The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).
I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles) as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.
As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.
I hope it helps.

Arm Lift

Hello dear, thanks for post. An arm lift is a surgical procedure that:
  • Reduces excess sagging skin that droops downward
  • Tightens and smoothes the underlying supportive tissue that defines the shape of the upper arm
  • Reduces localized pockets of fat in the upper arm region
Fluctuations in weight, growing older, and heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance. This is a condition that cannot be corrected through exercise.
Arm lift surgery may be right for you if the underside of your upper arms are sagging or appear loose and full due to excess skin and fat.

In general, arm lift candidates include:
  • Adults with significant upper arm skin laxity
  • Adults of any age whose weight is relatively stable and who are not significantly overweight
  • Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations.... I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Arm lift vs circumferential liposuction.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Sometimes circumferential upper arm lipo can really improve upper arm contour without the long scar left by a brachioplasty.  It really depends on your skin tone and your expectations.  As is most body contouring procedures, the contour should take priority over the length of the scar.  Scars almost always fade with time (although for some weird reason brachioplasty scars can take a LONG time) but bad contour is forever. 

I recommend you see a surgeon who has a lot of experience with both brachioplasty and circumferential upper arm lipo.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Arm lift

You may be a candidate for an arm lift but it really depends on your examination, goals, and willingness to accept scars. I suggest and in person evaluation to have a detailed discussion and examination to find the best treatment. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for an arm lift?

Thanks for the question and the good photos. Yes, you are definitely a candidate for the armlift (brachioplasty) procedure. You are correct that it is a long scar and pretty obvious for a few months but once it fades it turns out to be a very good trade off for getting rid of the extra skin and fat attached to the skin. It would be nice if liposuction alone would work but it does not create the tight skin that weight loss patients want and need. Just be sure to seek out an experienced and artistic surgeon (they don't always go together) for best results. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lipo alone generally not best

It's hard to say without being able to examine you, but liposuction alone in my experience leaves an unsatisfactory result and generally some form of excision is necessary to remove lax skin, particularly after weight loss.  A board certified plastic surgeon can tell u best after examine you and discuss the options in depth.  Good luck 

Arm lift may be the best solution for you; but better pictures and an exam would be necessary to confirm.

Los Angeles, CA Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for an arm lift?

Thank you for your question.  You may be able to benefit from liposuction and an arm lift for the resulting excess skin.  An in person consultation and exam would be required to confirm.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you would benefit from an arm lift.  An alternative to improve the appearance of the arms is to have liposuction performed, but this alone can leave you with loose skin that needs to be excised.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL