41 y.o. seeking breast implants - would I also need a lift? (photos)

I would like to get breast implants. I'm 5'2", ~105 pounds. Hoping to gain more muscle, but am also losing fat unintentionally. I would like implants over the muscle, without a lift, but is this possible with my age and sagging? Also I would like to have surgery in LA outside of my home state - how long would I need to recover before flying (or driving) back home? Thank you!

Do I need a lift

Based on your photos, it does not appear that you need a breast lift . Breast Augmentation alone provides a certain amount of lift to the breast.  You should have an excellent result with breast augmentation surgery.  In general an easy way to tell if you need a lift is to use the pencil test. This involves placing a pencil at the bottom of your breast. If your breast drops down and it holds the pencil in place, you flunk the pencil test and need a breast lift 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question. From your photos, it does not appear that you need a lift.  The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.   Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

41 y.o. seeking breast implants - would I also need a lift?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  Breast lifting does not appear to be indicated.  Please make sure that you learn about the pros/cons associated with sub muscular (dual plane) versus sub glandular breast augmentation surgery (so that you can make well-informed decisions). You will find a lot of information about the subject on this website.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "top heavy" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Do I need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.  From the photos, you will likely not need a lift.  Over time (years), that can change, but at this point likely not.  Placing the implants above the muscle is a good option for some women who do not want the "animation" of the implant that occurs when it is placed under the muscle.  However, there is increased scar tissue around the implant when placed above the muscle.  Often using the anatomic shaped implants is best.  Traveling 10-14 days after surgery is typically safe.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Do you need a breast lift

It is often very difficult to answer these questions from photographs, but it seems almost certain that you would not need a breast lift. A thorough examination by a board-certified plastic Would be in a good position to let you know this after a thorough examination. As far as traveling, you should probably be ready to jump on an airplane within a few days if you don't have to carry your own luggage!

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Alone Or With a Lift?

From what can be seen in your photos, you should do well without a lift.  Using the shaped gummy bear implants, above the muscle placement would work very well for you and avoid a lot of the concerns about capsule contracture, rippling and coverage.  As far as recovery,  seek a surgeon who uses 24 hour recovery and should be back home within a couple of days after your surgery.I have added a web reference and a video for you.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. From your photos, it does not appear that you would need a breast lift. I would be wary of placing implants above the muscle. This increases the risk of visible implant rippling, a palpable implant edge, and capsular contracture. I would recommend placing implants under the muscle in a dual plane pocket. The muscle provides another layer of camouflage for the implant.

Breast Augmentation

Thanks for including photos. You do not need a lift and are an excellent candidate for a submuscular dual plane lift. With so little fat, any implant over the muscle has a high likelihood of looking like half a grapefruit under your skin. That's fine if that is your goal, but it may not be. When you see your surgeon take some pre and post op surgical photos of your wish look. There are multiple sites on the internet where you can find these. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph.  You have nice breast shape and do not need a breast lift in order to have breast implants.I would urge you to have a dual plane breast augmentation 
  1. to provide better coverage of the implant
  2. To lessen the chance of capsular contracture
  3. To allow for better mammogram studies
  4. To project the breast more  and improving the tendency to sag
In my experience over time subglandular implants tended to sag and become visible.  Please read below:

Breast implants

I would recommend silicone gel implants under the muscle to decrease visibility and palpability . Proper positioning would preclude a breast lift at this time 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS