Slight bump the day I get my splint off?

I had a rhinoplasty exactly a week ago. He removed the splint today, and I went to brush my hair out of my face and bumped myself on the nose. It didn't hurt, but it did feel like a bit of pressure. I do feel a small bump on the bridge now. I hit my nose with my hand moving to my right, and the bump is a bit above where I hit it, and I'm worried it's a spot that maybe it cracked or something. It looks very slightly crooked but it's also swollen more on one side, and is no more swollen than b4

Rhinoplasty Recovery

At 1 week, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Issue with nose

It is unlikely from a small brush that you caused anything serious with your nose. If concerned, speak with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty One Week Results and Splint Removal

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty.

Without pictures or evaluation, who knows?

For specific questions like this and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS