I've lost more than half my teeth. I now have most of them replaced by implants. My face has fallen tremendously.Any suggestion?

Instead of having my face filled with fillers, I want to have my facial bone (cheek bones lifted). Where can I have this done? How painful is this procedure?

A facelift can tighten loose facial and neck skin. If you have atrophy of bone soft tissue fillers can often help. In rare cases bone grafting is required. Please see a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of plastic Surgery

Facial changes after loss of teeth.

Loss of maxillary bone can create aging changing the in the midface.  Treatment is multifactorial and might include a facelift, fillers, and even implants or bone grafting.

Face following implants

This is tough to answer woithoput photos but basically if you have excess skin the a type of facelift is probably needed.If you have lost soft tissue you may need some grafts and a facelift.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Aging face after dental restoration

Without photographs, it is not possible to even start to advise you on options for improvement.  You are probably best to make a consultation appointment with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and options for improvement.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Falling Face

It is best to answer this question with a photo of your face.
Many people who have lost facial fullness do very well with taking fat from your lower body and injecting it into our face. It doesnt help with jowls. If jowls are your issue then you would do best with an open surgical procedure. If you dont have significant jowls, "auto fat" transplantation gives nice results.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Cheekbone implant candidate

Cheek implants can be performed to augment the cheeks, not vertically lift them. Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are inserted through an intra--oral approach under a brief general anesthetic. When soft tissues in the face and neck have fallen, a lower face and neck lift is required. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Treatment of a "Fallen Face"

There are many reasons that a face can fall. Lack of support from loss of teeth is one of those reasons. There are, however, multiple other ones including loss of soft tissue, gravity and aging. Treatment depends on the cause. Therefore, you need a consult with a plastic surgeon with significant experience in facial rejuvenation including fillers and surgery. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Cheek bone lifting for falling face

Dear pagev8:

Thanks for this question. The answer is complex because of the need for proper diagnosis and review of the advantages / disadvantages, improvements, discomfort and risks associated with the options. It is best to seek one or more consultations with well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, Facial ENT surgeons and those with "orthognathic" experience. 

No doubt, the 3 dimensional "hanger" of the boney skeleton of the face provides the structure for the teeth, muscles, glands and other soft tissues which create the volume of the face. Having replaced your teeth will be helpful.  The next level of considerations include:
  1. move the bone, 
  2. add bone or bone-like implants to the cheeks, 
  3. soft-tissue like implants to the cheeks and other facial regions and / or 
  4. lift the excess and sagging skin envelope
Good luck with this and Happy New Year!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

've lost more than half my teeth. I now have most of them replaced by implants. My face has fallen tremendously.Any suggestion?

Without photos, or physical exam- it's impossible to assess accurately. However, I would start with teeth first-- find a good oral surgeon. Good luck

I've lost more than half my teeth. I now have most of them replaced by implants. My face has fallen tremendously.Any suggestion

Obtain dental full restoration FIRST! Than start with fillers like Juvederm and Voluma. Amounts needed are unknown til your dental issues a fully resolved. Than might try fat grafting or even surgical facelifting. But NO posted photos!