Thank you for asking about your TCA peel and VI peel.
- The TCA peel is a trichloroacetic acid peel that is used at strengths ranging from 10 - 80% to treat various skin conditions from light discoloration to deep acne pit scars.
- Pre-treatment with tretinoin (generic Retin A) and other creams improves the results.
- A 10-15% TCA peel can be used by estheticians for light skin improvement.
- The Vi-peel is a trademarked peel made of low concentrations of TCA, tretinoin, phenol and salicylic acid.
- It claims to make all other peels obsolete but this is marketing -
- Because the acid concentrations are low, it is safe and easy for estheticians and other non-physicians to use.
- It chiefly will improve skin color - and at times, texture but stronger peels, used separately are usually needed for long-lasting and significant results.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS