At 48, I lost 30 pounds in weight. At 50, I started walking 2-3 miles a day..

Now at 52 I am searching for a way to get rid of this flab around my hips and thighs...and the cellulite that is rolling down my butt and legs...all suggestions gratefully received

Doctor Answers 4

Plastic surgery after weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sounds like a lower body lift and a medial thigh lift may take care of your problems. Without pictures or a physical exam it is difficult to determine exactly what you will need. Consult with a properly trained plastic surgeon and they should be able to help you decide what you may need.

A lower body lift might be ideal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You did not mention the current appearance of your abdomen.  Should you also have sagging skin in the area, you might be a good candidate for a lower body lift in which the resulting scar goes around the entire circumference of the lower torso (just like a belt). 
A lower body lift accomplishes several things in one surgery: tighten the abdomen, reshape the outer thigh, elevate the sagging skin in the hips, and lift the drooping buttocks. 
Nevertheless, only a personal consultation (of course with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs body contouring surgery after weight loss on a regular basis) can help determine the best surgical approach. 
I hope that helps and good luck. 

Tarick K. Smiley, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

Body Lift or Something Else

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congratulations on the weight loss and the commitment to daily walking you've been achieving for the last few years! While you might benefit from a body lift, you might be better served by another procedure or combination of procedures.
Start by looking for board certified plastic surgeons who perform body lifts and take a look at some of the before and after photos for that procedure. Schedule a consult to discuss your specific goals and the surgeon will help you determine what procedures can help you accomplish those goals.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 98 reviews

You might also like...

Body lifting - what is needed after my weight loss and fitness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your body lifting.
  • You truly need a comprehensive consultation with a plastic surgeon who does post-weight loss body lift.
  • You may need a lower body lift, a thigh lift - or something else.
  • Without an exam and discussion of what you want to achieve, one can't easily create a surgical plan for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.