Is SmileCareClub a good choice for Invisalign? I have minor crowding and can't afford what my orthodontist is charging me.

Concerns about Orthodontics

Hi. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dr. J Mark Weiser. I have been in dental practice since 1987. I have been practicing comprehensive orthodontics ("bracket and wire") since 1992. I took the first Invisalign course in 1999. I have been an Orthodontic consultant with the SmileCareClub (SCC) since its inception.

I feel that the SmileCareClub is an excellent choice for treating mild to moderate crowding. Over the past year, I have even started treating more severe and complex cases with Clear Aligners. I diagnose and treatment plan every SCC patient as if she is an "in-office" patient. So, the standard of care is equal to or higher than many "brick and mortar" offices. The patient saves time and money by not having to travel to the DDS's office every four to six weeks for follow-up appointments. The patient also saves time and money by doing the Orthodontic records themselves. Lastly, the SCC customer service reps and the docs are only an email away. As a result, treatment fees are extremely affordable.

In any case, the key to successful Clear Aligner Ortho treatment is compliance. The Aligners and retainers must be worn as prescribed. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the SCC for more information.

All of the concerns mentioned below are not exclusive to clear aligners.  One can see the same problems with bracket and wire. One major advantage with clear aligners is one can see a "before and after" animation.  All of the parameters, once specified by the dentist, are programmed into a computer. The computer only does what it is told to do. Therefore, the computer will only place teeth in their correct anatomical position.  Most patients can rattle off all of the disadvantages of bracket and wire (I've heard them all).

Katy Orthodontist

SmileCareClub- the newest aligner option for mild to moderate orthodontic cases

Congratulations on making the decision to improve your smile! Fortunately, there are many options on the market today for mild to moderate orthodontic cases.  I suggest taking the time to educate yourself.

The best place to start is to make sure you've had a recent dental exam, periodontal exam and cleaning and that your teeth and gums are ready for orthodontic treatment. All of your restorative work should be completed.

From there, you can obtain a consultation directly with a General Dentist or  Orthodontist or SmileCareClub. SmileCareClub is the newest and most innovative option in the orthodontic market. It utilizes Tele-Dentistry to work with licensed Orthodontists and Dentists in your state to review your records virtually and to prescribe and monitor treatment.

For qualified patients, this decreases the overall cost of treatment by reducing or eliminating the actual physical visits to an Orthodontist or Dentist without sacrificing the quality or outcome.

What you may not know is that SmileCareClub uses the same name-brand aligner laboratories that dentists use. It's just "rebranded".

You are also able to review your own digital treatment plan before purchasing to make sure the outcome is what you had anticipated and you can also provide feedback or ask your Dentist or Orthodontist questions about your treatment online.

Best of luck with your decision and please post progress photos! We are looking forward to your new smile!

Kathryn Amanda Wilson, DDS
Danville Orthodontist

Scary thought

I was not aware of SmileCareClub until I saw your posted question.
I personally think it is irresponsible to go through any invasive medical procedure on your own without extensive treatment planning and follow through with a certified Doctor. Moving teeth can quickly go from simple movement to pathology (disease) movement and the effects on your gums, jaw bone, teeth and occlusion (proper bite) can be devastating when not  treatment planned correctly and followed through correctly.
Invisalign is a great product but without a great dentist it can be just as devastating. 
Please see a Dentist.  Perhaps they can offer other forms of clear aligners at significantly reduced fees ie, Essix appliances, Clear Correct etc.
The products may not be as good but at least you will be followed through the treatment properly and healthfully. 

Smile club beware

When it is too good to be true, you know the rest.... Be very careful with do it at home products that move your teeth. Even with a very mild crowding or spaces, teeth can move in some unwanted position and cause a lot of aggravation and discomfort when biting. You may even loose a tooth and its not like a tooth will be going back when you discontinue wearing the appliance so the changes may be irreversible without doctors intervention. To fix a problem cause by an aligner, may cost you even more... My suggestion, if you cant afford proper treatment, do not do it at all until the time you can afford it and get the best care. Do not compromise with some shady companies that will offer you anything for you money. Mild crowding may be unaesthetic but will not harm you, when trying to do it at home, my result in some major damage to your teeth and TMJs.  

Oleg Drut, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Get Other Quotes

I do not have any experience with SmileCareClub.  If what your orthodontist is charging you is too much you may want to consider shopping around.  Sometimes fees will vary considerably from one doctor to another.  If your case is truly just minor crowding then SmileCareClub maybe a descent option.  Only way to find out is to contact SmileCareClub and see if you are a candidate.

Deepak Gupta, DMD, MS
Plano Orthodontist