Would I need implants after a reduction so my breasts are lifted and perky not sagging? (photos)

I'm currently a 34-36DD, I'm 4'11 so I want to go down to a size that matches my frame better. I was thinking either a 38B or 32C . Would I need implants after the reduction to have my breast lifted and perkier so they are not sagging. Please help and any other input or suggestion would be great, thank you!

Possible Breast Implants after Breast Recuction

I have not found it necessary to add breast implants after a breast reduction.  Usually, by shaping and preserving enough central breast tissue and tailoring the skin appropriately, the breasts can be reduced and tailored to create  a perky and youthful appearance.  In someone as yourself, who seems to have firmer breasts as opposed to someone who has significant loose, deflated breasts, the reduction itself should be enough.

Breast reduction and adding an implant

Your photographs suggest breast reduction as the best option. However, placing a small implant at the same or separate surgeries is done for shaping the breast upper pole. The shape of the breast is determined by skin envelope and breast volume. So with a breast reduction, you  are achieving both goals. With many patients consulting about a breast reduction, adding an implant doesn't make sense when you are reducing the size of the breast.

But some  patients do like a fuller upper breast pole.  So the option to place a small shaping implant is part of their operation. This should be discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon. Placing a small saline or silicone implant under the muscle would be my recommendation if you choose this additional procedure.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Based on your photos, I would not recommend implants at this time. You have dense glandular breast and it should be sufficient to make them perkier. You also need to understand that even with implants, your breast will never be as perky as those of a patient with an A cup who receives implants. Your breasts will always have a downward slant although not as prominent as they are now. Insertion of breast implants at the time of a breast reduction introduces another dimension for complications.

Good luck, 

Dr. PG

Would I need implants after a reduction so my breasts are lifted and perky not sagging?

Based on your photographs, it seems like you will be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Of course, whether or not to proceed with the operation is a decision that only you can make  after you CAREFULLY weigh your "concerns" regarding breast size, position, and/or "symptoms" (such as back, back, shoulder discomfort, interference with activities...) VERSUS  the potential downsides associated with breast lifting/reduction surgery.  For example, you will need to carefully consider the trade-offs,  including scarring,  as you make your decisions.  Timing, in relation to your overall life circumstances, may also be a consideration.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully.  Make sure that he/she has significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Then communicate your goals carefully;  best to avoid cup sizes as a reference.  The use of goal photographs and computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process.

Hopefully you will be pleased with the results of breast reduction surgery only. Occasionally, patients do seek second stage breast augmentation surgery to maintain more predictable upper pole volume.

Very hard to recommend a reduction than increase with an implant at the same surgical setting. Best to seek many in person opinions.

Reduction

Hi there!  Based on your photos and your goals, it seems like you have plenty of natural tissue and should do fine with just a vertical scar breast reduction. In my opinion, it would be a shame to add the cost, weight and maintenance of implants when you really don't need them.  In patients that have softer / weaker natural tissues and want more upper breast fullness, I am much more likely to recommend upper pole fat grafting than implants to get the shape you want while keeping your maintenance low. Make sure you see an experienced surgeon to get the best results. Breast reduction is a great surgery and it looks like you should be able to achieve an excellent result!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon