Eye lids do not appear symmetrical. Is revision surgery the doctors responsibility or the patient financially? (photos)

Assymetry eyes

From looking at your photos you are still swollen so I would give it some more time.I would think your doctor would want to make it right.Blessings.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Cart before the horse here.

You are immediately out from surgery.  Eyelid swelling alone can account for the differences that are evident in this photograph.  Please let yourself heal before blaming your surgeon! This is pretty normal swelling.  Regarding revisional surgery, I generally think it is best to heal 6 to 12 months before trying to make a decision on this.  Cosmetic surgery is pretty subjective business but most surgeons will do what they can to make their patients happy after surgery.  This generally means some patient financial responsibility depending on what the issue.  Try to be patient and heal.  Consider reposting here as you heal.

Who pays for the revision?

I usually tell my patients that they will see asymmetry when they are healing, and that as the weeks go by, the lids will become closer and closer to symmetry of the lid levels, contours, and creases. After 6 to 12 months, if the patient is not happy with the lids, THEN we talk about revision. Who pays is up to your doctor. After functional blepharoplasty, I usually charge my patients a "tray fee" which covers a little of the office overhead for time, materials, and technical assistance. A small but reasonable charge deters unnecessary and frivolous revisions. Revisions after cosmetic blepharoplasty (patient has paid out of pocket) are usually "on the house". Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

It is too early to tell how things will end up.  Swelling can be remarkably different in different eyelids and as this resolves, you may see improved symmetry.  Continue rest, elevation, and cold compresses for now.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Eyelid asymmetry

You are very early in the healing phase so it is way too soon to decide if any revision work would be necessary.  Give your self time to heal.  While it does look like your crease is at a different height, this may not be noticeable once the edema has subsided. Always want to wait at least 6 months before any revision. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Early Postop Result

The photos show an individual who had surgery within the last one-two weeks, so asymmetry and swelling are par for the course.  I think that you would be better served by getting reassurance from your Surgeon, since this situation is more normal than not.  I also encourage my patients to be positive about their outcomes, and I would recommend you follow this course instead of assuming the worst. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

At this very, very early phase in healing, I don't think you can come to any meaningful conclusions as to the outcome or whether revision will be necessary. Your financial documentation should spell out the responsibility for any payment at the time of a revision.  You will not be able to know if this would even be necessary for several months so have patience.

Eye lids do not appear symmetrical. Is revision surgery the doctors responsibility or the patient financially?

WOW! MUCH to early to worry about the need for a revision. ALLOW 6 months healing time than re consider if anything is needed!

Eyelid surgery

Your surgery was only very recent, the swelling can cause the asymmetry. You need to give it a chance to settle down first and then discuss with your surgeon.

Asymmetry after eyelid surgery

It appears that your eyelid surgery was recent. There is a lot of swelling that causes asymmetry. This is typical after any procedure involving eyelids in particular upper and lower blepharoplasty done together.

It takes an average 6 months for eyelids to settle and heal to the point that one can see stable result. Making any conclusions about results, symmetry, scars, shape before this time is not accurate. You should stay patient, do your eye massage, diet, activity as indicated per your surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon