2 years since implants, always painful swollen and hurts to bend. Normal?

I got my saline implants 2 yrs ago, a yr ago I had to have scar tissue removed from the right. My right breast always hurts I have to hold if I bend without a bra on. I always have a hot painful feeling in it I had cried endlessly and my surgeon has literally been no help and tells me pretty much I just have to deal without it. Is this normal? What can I do? I'm at the point where I just want them out.

No not the norm! Could be 2 issues or a comb of these 2. #1. Entrapped sensory nerve in capsule of war. #2. Cutaneous sensory nerve pain syndrome. Try PIT injection therapy first at $500 per session unto 3 sessions. Or surgical release. Or both.

Pain

This is typical of infection around your breast implant.   I would advise explantation and antibiotics along with antifungals in order to correct the condition.  We treat this type of problem frequently.  

Susan Kolb, MD

Pain issue

Pain can be the result of so many different things. You would have to be evaluated in person.  Removing the implants may or may not improve your pain.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant issues. Though pictures or an in-person examination would offer more definite advice, continued pain after 2 years is unusual and should be further investigated.  If no identifiable reason is evident you may wish to consider implant removal as an option.  Hope this helps.

2 years post op pain

Thanks for your question.  It is quite unusual to have pain and swelling 2 years post operative breast augmentation.  Best to consider a second opinion if your surgeon is not able to advise you.  Good luck.

Implants - still painful after 2 years

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Persistent pain is quite unusual.
  • It sounds as though you need a different surgeon to have them removed.
  • I am so sorry this has happened.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Chronic breast pain

Thank you for your question. It is not normal to have your level of pain for the period of time that you have had it. There are a few possible causes that come to mind. I would seek out another opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you work out a plan of management. Sometimes a few heads in the pot are just better than one.  Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Pain

You may have a nerve impingement from scar formation after your breast augmentation.  You may consider seeing an anesthesiologist specializing in pain.  You may be able to have a nerve block performed on the intercostal nerves that supply the breast.  Sometimes these can have long term relief of pain syndromes like yours.  If this does not help, a revision to release any scar that may be causing causing this nerve pain can be attempted.  Removing the implants may also be a consideration since you are having so much discomfort.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Pain after BA

I'm so sorry you have been dealing with this issue after 2 years.  It's not normal and you should have a evaluation in person with another PS.  A ultrasound of your breasts should be done to rule out capsule contraction or other conditions that causes pain after a BA. Best of luck. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Breast augmentation pain two years after surgery

Any symptom that affects your quality of life is not normal.  However, it is hard if not impossible to determine the cause of the hot painful sensation you are describing without personal exam.

I suggest that you visit another plastic surgeon.  Make sure that he has the following qualifications: 

*  Board certified (i.e., certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery)
*  Has performed hundreds of primary and secondary breast augmentations
*  Not less than 10 years of relevant experience
*  Impressive before-and-after photos
*  Good rapport (he truly cares for his patients and provides the best care during and after surgery)

I hope that helps and good luck. 

Dr. Tarick Smiley, MD
California Surgical Institute