Will my Medicaid pay for my liposuction? (Photo)

Medicaid does not cover Liposuction

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, Medicaid will not cover your Liposuction procedure because it is a cosmetic procedure. Best of luck Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Medicaid and liposuction

Insurance/Medicare/Medicaid does not cover cosmetic procedures. Liposuction is considered a cosmetic procedure and therefore is not covered by medicaid. 
Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Medicaid or any government-subsidized health plan will never cover liposuction. Liposuction is not a modality for weight reduction. It assists in body contourIng. 

Liposuction and Insurance

Liposuction is a fine contouring cosmetic procedure and not used as a weight loss tool. Therefore, the treatment is elective and Medicaid will not cover costs. Best, Dr. Emer

Insurance and Liposuction

No Insurance will ever cover liposuction. It is a 100% cosmetic procedure. Liposuction is also not a weight loss tool. You need to meet with a weight loss coach or dietician to get you on a healthy program for diet and exercise.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - will Medicaid pay?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Medicaid will not pay for liposuction.
  • It is not a weight loss treatment - at most 10 pounds are lost, and usually quickly regained.
  • Liposuction changes the distribution of fat, it does not lead to weight loss.
  • Your weight shows you to be  morbidly obese.
  • The treatment for your condition is a gastric bypass -
  • Please ask your doctor for a referral to a bariatric surgeon -
  • It can help you achieve your goa.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Will my Medicaid pay for my liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Medicaid and Cosmetic Surgery

No medical insurance and especially Federal and state plans like Medicaid/Obamacare or Medicare cover Liposuction or other Cismetic Surgery. However, Lipisuction cannot remove more than 10 pounds or so as an outpatient procedure. You have morbid obesity and as you pointed out need to lose over 100 pounds. Weight loss operations ARE covered by most insurance plans. You should contact the nearest Surgical weight loss. For example the one at St. francis Hospital-MEMPHIS. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Because liposuction is considered an aesthetic procedure it is deemed not medically necessary and will not be covered by medicaid.

Liposuction - Weight loss First

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to plastic surgery for optimal results. However, you appear to be a candidate for bariatric (weight loss) surgery. If you qualify, Medicaid may pay for the procedure. Once you have lost a significant amount of weight, please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Hope this helps and good luck.