How much would a breast reduction help me? (Photo)

I am 5'8" and currently weigh 280lbs. My current bra size is a 40R. It is extremely difficult for me to workout and loose weight, let alone do the majority of my day to day activities due to limited movement from my breasts. Would a breast reduction be the best bet to help me start to return back to a healthy weight?

If you have not been able to lose weight on your own, I suggest you consider bariatric surgery, lap band or gastric sleeve.  You have a very high BMI and although a breast reduction at this weight might help, but for you the obtain the best result from this operation and for it to be as safe as possible, you are better off having it done when your BMI is down to a more acceptable level.

How much would a breast reduction help me?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Although the breast reduction surgery may help you at this point, if you are contemplating the weight loss then it would be in your best interest to have the breast surgery after you have reached your long-term stable weight (if possible). This will improve your chances of achieving your goals and minimize the chances that revisionary breast surgery (to treat “sagging” for example) will be necessary afterwards. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.

Breast reduction could improve the quality of your life

There are many factors that determine one's candidacy.  But based on your description, it appears that you are a good candidate for breast reduction since your overlarge breasts are causing discomfort and pain to the point that they hinder your normal activities and make it more challenging to exercise. 

If you're able to demonstrate or provide medical documentation of the physical side effects of overlarge, heavy breasts, your insurance may even pay for its cost.  

Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon who routinely performs breast reduction. 

I hope that helps and good luck.