I still have hollow cheekbones what can I do? (photo)

My face is very skinny with high cheekbones. I got 2 syringes of voluma, the idiot emphasized my cheekbones instead of filling my face...I told repeatedly that I wanted the face filled and just a touch on my cheekbones. I'm totally mad! It looks horrible I've a large bump on my temple ... yes temple...this is a disaster  I'm tired to throw money out of the windows with no result.

Voluma expectations

Thank you for sharing your question and concerns and experience with us. I'm sorry you did not have an optimal outcome from your last injection session. For patients that are requiring more of a panfacial following correction, my go to product is normally Sculptra. I tend to use Voluma more for midface support and shaping.    I would recommend that you visit with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area who can help assess your concerns and develop an appropriate treatment plan.

Poor Voluma results

This is obvious poor technique. It looks like boluses of Voluma were placed on the cheeks without paying any attention to the volume the face needed. This was also improper technique. I would massage the area. If it doesn't go away, get them to dissolve it and then go somewhere else for your treatment. I use cannulas for all fillers and get smoother, more natural appearances. For panfacial volume, Sculptra is the way to go. For just upper face, Voluma is fine.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Voluma and Cheekbones

Voluma is a fabulous product but often people underestimate how how product you will need.  It sounds like you will need more Voluma added to achieve the look that you want.  Another excellent alternative is Sculptra since it definitely will achieve the volume that you want with long term benefits since it lasts more than two years.  Best, Dr. Green

What to do when you are unhappy with filler results

I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the results from Voluma you were looking for. While many physicians offer Voluma injections, I cannot stress enough how important it is to find a physician who truly specializes in filler injections so that you can avoid unsatisfactory results. At this point, I would recommend consulting with another physician who has the appropriate experience using Voluma and other fillers. He/she should be able to correct the imperfections and give you the results you were originally seeking. Again, I am sorry you spent money on the treatment and were not satisfied. I see this a lot in my practice - patients come to me after going to a less experienced physician or med-spa. My goal is always to get them to the results they want, while being very realistic with them about the results they can achieve. Hope that helps!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

I still have hollow cheekbones

Successful treatment with fillers requires good communication between the patient and the injector to determine what the goals are. It also requires expertise on the part of the injector with knowledge of facial anatomy, the underlying structures, and realistic tissue movement with various techniques. If one has too much injection in one area which causes a mass effect, this can be treated with several techniques which can dissolve or remove it. If you feel that fillers are not for you, options include fat injection which is a type of natural filler or implants..

I still have hollow cheekbones what can I do?

Realistic expectation are key for a good patient/physician relationship. Sadly you are making this very difficult with the adjectives that you are using to describe your physician/injector. This does not make it easy to treat you and more likely the source of the problem.

Some patients need more material/product than what they are willing to pay. This does not mean that the treatment is bad. It is easier to augment the bony areas as the expansion is done against the bone and you can see the results easier. When you need to augment the submalar area (body of the cheek) there is no bone to place this Voluma against, so the injection is done at the subcutaneous tissue. This expansion is in all directions, so you will need more material/product to do the same effect as in the bony areas. Your surgeon might have misjudged how much material he would need. Multiple times I stage this procedures and add some product at a time. It makes the change easier for the patient and the cost is distributed in a longer period of time so that it does not hurt financially the patient. You need to realize that you may still need more material to achieve your goal. Also you do not want to completely fill that submalar hollow as the normal contour of the cheek should be in a heart shape appearance. The bony cheek should be the most augmented area of the face (convex), the submalar area should have some concavity (go inward), and the jaw angle can come a little outward again. These are usually the most desirable facial features.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Work with your doctor

It if often best to work out a compromise with your doctor to come up with a plan to help you.
This may involve more filler, some hyaluronidase to dissolve, or massage and time for the swelling to go down.
Hang in there, you both have invested in each other, so in a gentle way, see what you two can work out.