Are there detriments to a delay between an implant leaking and seeing a plastic surgeon?

One of my saline implants leaked or ruptured about a week ago (From a DD to a B or so). I cannot get an appointment to see my plastic surgeon for another 2 weeks. Should I be worried about the delay? I feel like I have been sore and lethargic this week, but colds are going around so it may be unrelated.

Detrimental effect of saline implant leak

Hello, the saline solution in a breast implant is essentially the same as the solution that people receive through their veins when they come to a hospital.  If fluid leaks from the implant and gets absorbed by your system it should not make you sick.

Delay in treatment

Worry not.You should be fine.I just removed an expander from a lady who had it in for over 15 years and it had deflated so a few weeks is nothing. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

You should be ok waiting 2 weeks to see your plastic surgeon.  I would call them again and make them aware that you have an implant deflation.  They should see you right away in this case and not make you wait the 2 weeks.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Not an emergency

There should be no problem in delaying an exchange of your implants, especially if they are saline, since the fluid gets absorbed by your body and does not cause any longterm issues.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

You need to exchange within a 6 weeks time frame because the potential of capsule shrinkage, implant knuckling causing skin issues. Did you tell your chosen PS office you had a deflation? Usually most boarded PSs will see a previous patients with an issue immediately......

Ruptured saline implants

There are no particular health concerns related to the rupture or leaking of a saline breast implants, and waiting two weeks to see your surgeon should be absolutely fine. I don't think that your feeling lethargic is related to the ruptured implant in any way.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
Italy Plastic Surgeon

The lethargy probably is unrelated to the implant rupturing, but it is best to get in to see your surgeon ASAP. When the implant deflates the pocket begins to contract so you may require a capsulotomy in addition to an exchange if you wait too long. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

I am sorry to hear about the deflation you have experienced. There is no urgency when it comes to replacing the deflated breast implant (you should not be worried about the waiting time for consultation). However, over the course of several months, the breast implant capsule tends to contract down, potentially making re augmentation procedure slightly more complicated.  Best wishes.