Can Botox injected into the masseter muscle help after teeth grinding has led to a bigger, more manly jawline? (Photo)

I grind my teeth because of stress. I'm seeing my jawline getting bigger and more manly. My face has now a square face. I can touch the sides of my face have strong muscles. I I need to see a dentist or what specialist for them to inject me Botox in my masseter? Thanks.

Botox for Masseter Muscles

Yes - Botox can be used to nicely reduce the size of the masseter muscles which border along the outside of the jaw, near the angle.  This can really work quite well for getting the face to look more oval and less square/rectangular as well as for diminishing the many impacts of "grinding" in general, such as TMJ syndrome symptoms! 

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Bruixism

Thank you for your question. Stress is the biggest trigger for bruxism in some people. Bruxism can lead to serious dental problems, premature aging of the jaw bone resulting in altered shape of the face, masseter muscle hypertrophy, and TMJ problems. Injecting neurotoxins such as botox or dysport to masseter can offer anti aging benefits by relaxing the masseter muscle and relieving bruxism. Find a physician/Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who is an expert injector in this area can guide you the best approach.

Hi there,  Botox will absolutely help you to stop putting such stress on your masseter muscle. Unfortunately, I also grind my teeth and I have cracked a tooth when I was under a lot of stress back in medical school.  I recommend you seek the help of a board certificated dermatologist who specializes in Botox of the lower face. I do this procedure all the time and I even do it on myself. Good luck and please stop grinding. Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox has been successfully used for masseter hypertrophy and some applications in TMJ treatment by relieving the tension and tone of the muscle. But, I would recommend a thorough clinical evaluation of the causes in a specific situation like this by an specialist before deciding on the treatment modality.

Jacob Sedgh, MD

Botox for masseter enlargement

Thank you for asking about your Botox.Yes, indeede. Botox injected into the masseter can relieve the pain of jaw clenching and reduce the size of the masseter. Generally, a plastic surgeon will be the one to do the injections - but call in advance since not every plastic surgeon will do them. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Botox for masseters

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I do think your an excellent candidate for injection of Botox into the master muscles (chewing muscles), in order to make your jawline less square. I would see an expert in facial aesthetics, most likely a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for masseter and grinding

Dear rachelg234:Thanks for sharing your photo and this concern. Stress induces many coping mechanisms including grinding and physical changes of the jawline. Concerns may include: headache, injury to the jaw joint, injury to your teeth and many considerations beyond the asymmetry and "manly" appearance.I believe your single best option is a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon or ENT Surgeon who has the skill, talent and desire to treat "TMJ", grinding and the hypertrophy of your masseter and jawline. Discuss with them:
  • Proper evaluation for diagnosis and treatment
  • Botox to the masseters and pterygoid muscles
  • Bite plate or jaw distraction options
  • Stress reduction
I hope this helps. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox to the masseter

agree with the sentiments below.  Not only will it continue to help you with your bruxism, but it will also slim down the jawline and improve your contour.  You can see the usual suspects - either a plastic surgeon, cosmetic dermatologist, etc who feel comfortable and have treated patients with neuromodulators in this area.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseters

Great question. You are a great candidate for Botox injection to the masseters. The Botox will reduce the muscle bulk, improve the lower face profile, and also help with the grinding. It's one of my most popular treatments.

Botox for Masseters

Botox is an excellent treatment for hypertrophic masseter muscles.  It will also slim down your jaw line.  Most patients also find a lot of relief from their grinding and clenching after treatment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD